PDA

View Full Version : Went to a garage sale

Dave Macy
11-27-2016, 7:55 PM
My mom dragged me to a garage sale today. Yeah, I hate those things. It's always old people and clothes. Found out the dad passed away and all his tools were sold before we got there. The lady said I could have whatever wood I wanted though. I ended up with a truck full. Everything from oak, walnut, maple, some ugly purple stuff, etc. She wouldn't take any money, so we hid $100 where we knew she'd find it and left. Man my arms are tired. There were a few 18"x9' oak boards of 8/4 in there. That stuff is heavy. Maybe those sales aren't a complete waste although I can't let me mom know haha.

Jim Koepke
11-27-2016, 8:33 PM
Tool hunters are always the early birds. Especially those who do it to resale on ebay. They will watch all the public announcements and keep their ear to the ground to get in to get the goods.

Tools are almost always the first thing to go.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2016, 8:55 PM
. Everything from oak, walnut, maple, some ugly purple stuff, etc.

Hey Dave, this is a long shot, but if that "ugly purple stuff" is real wood and not something man-made, it might be Purpleheart. You may want to doublecheck, just to be sure, because Purpleheart is worth a little money.
Fred

Dave Macy
11-27-2016, 9:31 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I used a small handplane, and it's definitely purpleheart. I know some folks like it but I just can't imagine using it

Matt Day
11-27-2016, 9:42 PM
Dave, just keep in mind that there are lot of "old people" on this forum. Every time I go to a garage sale, estate sale, or auction, I remind myself that I will be in their shoes one day more than likely. Glad you made the donation and I'm sure you showed respect and thanked the woman profusely.

Nice score.

Pat Barry
11-28-2016, 1:04 PM
Pretty much anyone who goes to a garage sale is "old people"

Matt Day
11-28-2016, 1:38 PM
Pretty much anyone who goes to a garage sale is "old people"

Not exactly - how about all the ones with kid/baby clothes? Plenty of young moms attend those. I know, we had one in the summer to get rid of some of our stuff.

And I'm 37 (wait, is that considered "old people"?) and I cruise CL for tool garage sales.

Dave Macy
11-28-2016, 4:01 PM
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that most folks I see at those sales are older. I should probably stop while I'm behind haha.

Bruce Page
11-28-2016, 5:59 PM
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that most folks I see at those sales are older. I should probably stop while I'm behind haha.
Dave, with some luck you'll get here too. All of us older folks remember being the young buck of the crowd. :eek:

Jim Becker
11-28-2016, 8:11 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I used a small handplane, and it's definitely purpleheart. I know some folks like it but I just can't imagine using it

I don't ordinarily use it, but did for our nightstands in the master bedroom. If you decide you don't want it, let me know privately and maybe we can work something out.