PDA

View Full Version : Sjobergs Elite 59" work bench

Gregory Carles
11-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Can anyone tell me if you can lower the bench height from 35 &1/2 " to 34" without effecting the integrity of the bench sturdiness?
The reason being my sawstop has a 34 " height and with my shop space limited I wanted to put it kinda in front of the table saw about 4 feet away. However if ripping 8 ft boards they would conflict with the height of the bench by 1 &1/2".
Can you just rip 1 1/2" off the bottom feet of the Sjoberg to get the 34 " I need?

Also has anyone figured out the 1" dog hole dilemma as far as going to 3/4" accessories?

Thanks for any help

Greg

Bill Orbine
11-27-2016, 10:54 AM
I'd rather cut down the legs and reattach the feet. But that's me.

Gregory Carles
11-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Bill,
Looking at the assembly instructions it appears the leg assembly is one unit for shipping. I am not sure how I could brake them apart?? assuming they are glued and doweled from the factory.

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Any way you do this seems like it will have drawbacks. But if you are convinced you cant live with it as-is, I'd email Sjoberg and ask them what they suggest. Just to see if they have any thoughts.

Other thoughts I had......
* Normally, I'd strongly agree with Bill Orbine's point. But - looking only at pictures - it looks like the legs are glued to the feet - maybe M&T'd - making a single unit on each side. Getting those apart so you can shorten the legs could be a mess. But if you can, that seems a better way to go.

* Personally, I'd be reluctant to take a full 1 1/2" off just the feet. I would look at taking off 3/4" from both the top and the bottom to get your 1 1/2". That will probably have less effect on structure than taking all of it from the bottom and it will look more balanced to the eye. (For $2,000 I'd want to keep that bench looking as nice as it did new. But maybe that's just me.)

Good luck Greg. Let us know what you decide and how it goes so we can all learn from you.

Fred

Gregory Carles
11-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Fred,
Thanks for the reply, I have been thinking that as I take a board into the saw maybe at a low angle for a few feet would not be the worst thing or I could just move the work bench slightly for longer rips. However with the weight of the bench I don't think I want to be moving it that much.
I want the deal with the drawers and accessory pack at $2000. But I also want it to work in my little shop. (The wife gave me the green light to go with the purchase so I seriously started looking at measurements).
Greg

michael langman
11-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Could you raise the saw stop up to match the height of the bench?

Tom Trees
11-27-2016, 11:49 AM
What about making a cool mobile base or even just shim some timber underneath your sawstop .
How long do you have your saw ...have you tried it ?
Good luck

Gregory Carles
11-27-2016, 12:08 PM
What about making a cool mobile base or even just shim some timber underneath your sawstop .
How long do you have your saw ...have you tried it ?
Good luck

Could you raise the saw stop up to match the height of the bench?

Yes I did think of this but not sure how it would work out.

Andy Giddings
11-27-2016, 3:53 PM
Depending on how tall you are, Greg, 35 1/2 working height is going to be a lot better than 34. I'd also prefer to raise the saw in this situation

Gregory Carles
11-27-2016, 4:51 PM
Raise the saw I did. I took it from 34" to 35 & 5/8 in. Standing at the saw feels really weird now with the different height. I have been regularly using the saw since I got it around March. So I notice the difference.
I looked at the guides on line for recommended work bench height and found if you measure from the ground to the crease of your wrist then go with that. Well I did the measurement and found --- guess what-- 35 & 1/2 inch.

Andy Giddings
11-27-2016, 6:46 PM
Glad it worked out - don't know why manufacturers don't use the standard kitchen worktop height of 36 inches - had to do the same with my saw as it was too low

Alan Lightstone
11-27-2016, 9:06 PM
I had a machinist friend drill out some bushings that make the 1" holes into 3/4" holes. I then glued them to some 3/4" dog hole accessories. A real pain to do, and had to call in a favor, but they do work.

On the other hand, if they just didn't build them with the stupid 1" holes, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Rick Fisher
11-28-2016, 12:54 AM
I would raise the saw ..