PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy okay for interior of a honey pot

CHARLES D Richards
11-26-2016, 7:57 PM
I am making a small honey pot for a friend for Christmas and wanted to know if it would be ok to coat the interior with epoxy so they can put honey in the vessel. Not only am I interested in food safety but also to seal the wood for the honey to be stored in the pot.

thanks

Leo Van Der Loo
11-26-2016, 8:30 PM
I am making a small honey pot for a friend for Christmas and wanted to know if it would be ok to coat the interior with epoxy so they can put honey in the vessel. Not only am I interested in food safety but also to seal the wood for the honey to be stored in the pot.

thanks

I really don’t know Charles, but I wasn’t taking any chances with the ones I made, so I used glass containers and wood for the lid and dipper.

348311 348312

Paul F Franklin
11-26-2016, 8:50 PM
Food safe epoxy is available (just search for "food safe epoxy"). However, just because it's food safe doesn't always mean it won't affect the taste. Tend to agree with Leo that you'd be better off figuring how to incorporate a glass vessel in your gift.

Len Mullin
11-27-2016, 12:20 AM
Charles, I use most any kind of epoxy to seal dishes that I'll eat off of, once epoxy has been given a chance to cure it's safe to eat off of. Granted, you'll want to clean it with soap and hot water,before first use.
Len

Wayne Lomman
11-27-2016, 4:32 AM
There is a difference between any epoxy and food safe epoxy, so make sure you use a food safe one. There are many brands available. Usually you need to allow anything up to 28 days for full cure which is the point at which it become completely odour free. Check that when you buy it. Make sure the pot can get air moving around it. Once it is initially dry, hang it up on a stick so that fumes don't pool in the bottom of the pot - the fumes are heavier than air. Cheers

CHARLES D Richards
11-27-2016, 4:55 AM
thanks guys, I did order some food safe epoxy resin last night. I have this piece of mulberry that I want to turn the honey pot out of and really wanted to use a wood pot source. Leo, thanks for your suggestion and btw, I've always admired your work. I'll be sure to post a picture when finished. The resin is supposed to be here on Tuesday so we'll see how this goes.

CHARLES D Richards
12-12-2016, 6:32 PM
ok guys, I thought I would post what I came up with for the honey pot. I had a piece of mulberry that worked out perfect. Even when the yellow fads I think it will be nice. The pot outside was finished with spray lacquer and the inside with food safe epoxy resin. I did the dipper in Mahoney's walnut oil. Hope she likes it. The resin takes 7 days to cure according to the instructions. Thanks to everyone who posted349352349353 349351

Robert Marshall
12-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Nice!

Looks like an old-fashioned round, woven basket-type beehive ("skep"). Fitting!

CHARLES D Richards
12-15-2016, 2:12 PM
thanks Robert for the comment. It would be nice if the mulberry stayed yellow, but.....