PDA

View Full Version : Above the Table Dust Collection

Andrew Kertesz
11-26-2016, 6:34 PM
I need to put together my dust collection and get off my butt. My question is: Is above the table dust collection worth the added expense on a table saw? I'll be using the HF 2 hp DC with a Super Dust Deputy venting outside. Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions...

Ben Rivel
11-26-2016, 6:37 PM
Depends on the saw and what overhead dust collection system you use with it. If its a SawStop, their overarm dust collection setup works great and is well worth it. I have never owned any others so cant comment there.

Don Kondra
11-26-2016, 6:54 PM
Short answer = Yes !

That's where most of the fine dust gets thrown into you and the air...

Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, this cost me ~ $40.

Full build here > http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?243381-Table-saw-overhead-dust-collection-for-40&highlight=

Cheers, Don

J.R. Rutter
11-26-2016, 6:56 PM
Yes, it is worth the effort imho. I've been using a Biesemeyer overarm guard for years on a progression of saws. I upgraded the collection hose to 3". Currently, it is on an industrial SawStop. It does a good job getting the very fine dust before it hits your lungs. The coarser particles might end up on the table still, but compared to no guard, there is a big difference. I like the guard aspect as well. I set it close to the right side of the blade, so that my fingers can fit between the guard and the fence on rips wider than about 1.5".

Sam Puhalovich
11-27-2016, 6:39 AM
+1 on all the above comments about advantages to collecting.
I use a SharkGuard ... wouldn't want to be without it.

glenn bradley
11-27-2016, 10:15 AM
I use the overarm whenever possible. You will want either a good design or enough airflow to overcome a mediocre one. Technology or horsepower, either way the advantages of collecting anything not caught in the cabinet are clear. A design that includes independent basket shields (side shields) will do a better job when cutting near an edge. Solid baskets allow spoil to escape out the side if the basket does not fully ride on the material (edge trimming for example).

Large baskets can accommodate a larger hose port but, can make certain cuts awkward and lead to non-use. If you do a lot of cut in sheet goods with a lot of material on either side of the cut, a simple basket will do great. If you do a lot of cross cutting or more detailed work, the overarm design becomes more critical. Look at the types of things you do and the cuts you most commonly make. Then imagine those cuts with different overarm collectors in place and you will find your happy medium.