PDA

View Full Version : Securing cabinets to plaster/lath walls??

Joe Unni
10-07-2005, 6:57 AM
Good morning Creekers!

I'll be starting another project soon that will be simple shelving units. In this case cabinet boxes without doors. The customers house is from the early 1900's and has the old horse hair plaster and lath walls.

What is the safest way to securely hang these cabinets? Will I still be searching for studs and screwing to them or is there some other mechanism?

Also will 1/4" plywood back rabbeted all the way around be enough of a "nailer" or will I need to build one in?

Any info would be very much appreciated?

Thanks in advance,
-joe

Bob Winkler
10-07-2005, 7:47 AM
The latest issue of WOOD (November) has an article on this. Might be worth checking out!

Steve Clardy
10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
You need to build a nailer into the top of the cabinet.
There will be studs, and possibly lumber sheathing covering the walls also, behind the plaster/lath.

Ellen Benkin
10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
I have lath and plaster walls. You can find studs the same way you do it with drywall walls. I would have a nailer strip stronger than a thin piece of plywood. You can either find studs or use molly bolts. It may be easier to use a "french cleat" across two studs. Be careful when finding studs -- hitting lath may make you think you've got a stud when you don't.

Ed Breen
10-07-2005, 1:00 PM
I have found that a set of cleats is incredibly strong and will support great weight.

Ed