PDA

View Full Version : what dye do you use with your epoxy?

Dave Macy
11-25-2016, 10:42 PM
I need to fill in some cracks in spalted maple. I like the way the black epoxy looks but Transtint looks too expensive. Looks like most use west systems epoxy but what dye do you use? Thx

Jamie Buxton
11-25-2016, 11:43 PM
Transtint. Considering how much work you have in the table, and how much you've already spent on materials, don't get too involved in trying to save ten bucks.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2016, 11:59 PM
I have a jar of 34 year old Folgers Crystals instant coffee. I crush the crystals and mix them with the epoxy. It works well for me.

Frederick Skelly
11-26-2016, 7:28 AM
I wonder if India Ink would work? You can buy small bottles at art supply stores.

Though I'm quite intrigued by Ken's approach.....

Mike Berrevoets
11-26-2016, 8:13 AM
I just tinted some epoxy black to join the pieces of soapstone for our kitchen countertop. My research for tinting that black led me to mixol tints. I bought the little jar at woodcraft for about $5.00 but I think hobby stores would have it as well.

i also used the system six epoxy in the caulk tube. Just squeezed a little bit onto a board, dropped in some tint and mixed it up and applied it with the plastic spreaders.

Conrad Fiore
11-26-2016, 9:06 AM
Here is an interesting article about tinting epoxy resin.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/adding-pigments-to-epoxy/

Robert Engel
11-26-2016, 9:26 AM
I recently used artist paint - the stuff in the tube. I think its acrylic paint.

Prashun Patel
11-26-2016, 10:06 AM
I thought the same thing a few years ago. I finally bought a 2 oz bottle of black transtint and now four years later still have about 80percent. It's a very cost effective investment if you ask me because a little goes so far. you can also use it to darken finishes - just about any finish - with it.

Mike Henderson
11-26-2016, 10:18 AM
I use a powder dye that would normally be mixed with water. I just put the powder in the epoxy. I don't remember who makes it right now.

Mike