PDA

View Full Version : Stripping an "antique malled" tool?

Jim Belair
11-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Picked up a nice single bevel hewing hatchet but the handle has a thick coat of gloss varnish and the head is painted flat black. What is the best way remove these finishes- chemical stripper or ?

Jim Koepke
11-25-2016, 1:59 PM
My starting point is checking what is on hand in the shop.

First would be alcohol then maybe acetone or lacquer thinner. After that it would be on to the strippers if the first two didn't cut it.

Don't forget safety precautions.

Remember there is likely some parts if not the whole handle where some of the varnish soaked into the wood. It may be beyond the rich of reasonable sanding.

jtk

Phil Mueller
11-25-2016, 5:27 PM
Like Jim, I usually start with lacquer thinner...just because I have it on hand. Let it soak for a while and then scrub it with a plastic bristle brush. Let it dry and see what I've got. Also as Jim said, often there is sweat, dirt, stains in the wood that just won't sand out completely...ok by me, adds to the character.

Bill Houghton
11-25-2016, 9:26 PM
Shouldn't that be "antique mauled?"

If lacquer thinner/acetone/alcohol don't cut it on the handle, try sanding. On the head, if this is going to be a user tool, a wire brush may be called for, or sandpaper. If you expose the cutting edge, use will take care of the rest of the paint.

Jim Belair
11-26-2016, 7:21 AM
OK thanks for the input guys. I'll run thru the solvents I have on hand.

Stewie Simpson
11-26-2016, 7:39 AM
Jim; don't soak the handle too long in Denatured Alcohol. It will destroy the natural integrity of the wood fibres.

Derek Cohen
11-26-2016, 7:55 AM
I would use an environmentally friendly paint stripper, such as Citristrip. Loosen the paint and scrape away. Stop mucking about with everything else.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
11-26-2016, 12:20 PM
I would use an environmentally friendly paint stripper, such as Citristrip. Loosen the paint and scrape away. Stop mucking about with everything else.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My suggestion to try what is on hand comes from living in a location where going into town becomes at least a two hour trip to pick up some paint stripper.

In my previous location, I could have made it to a hardware store and back before the coffee finished brewing.

It is all relative to the individual's living situation.

jtk