PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Holiday Price Increases

Rich Riddle
11-25-2016, 9:53 AM
I have seen three sites increase prices in the last few days:

Zoro Tools prices increased and the coupon the offer comes through blank.
Factory Outlet's 20% off code for November evaporated and no discounts apply.
A couple of items being watched in Amazon increased a whopping 45%.

Shoppers beware.

Jim Becker
11-25-2016, 9:57 AM
ALWAYS know what things normally cost when shopping "sales"...some merchants do take advantage of the hype and excitement! BTW, there are many, many sellers on Amazon that aren't "Amazon", but even when something is sold and delivered by Amazon, pricing will vary based on many factors, sometimes day by day. It's hard work to shop sometimes!

Rod Sheridan
11-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Thanks Rich, I'm immune from them.

Today is my buy nothing day, not even a cup of tea.............Regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2016, 12:15 PM
I love my wife but I have so often tried to explain to her that 20% off isn't a "good buy" after they raised the price of the item 30% the day of the sale.

We don't have any shopping plans today.

I did order a new mitre saw, a Hitachi C12RSH and stand earlier this week.

michael langman
11-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Harbor Freight advertised for weeks about 25% off on 1 item for Black Friday.I tried to order their dust collector and no 25% off to be found!

Ryan Mooney
11-25-2016, 1:30 PM
For amazon check camelcamelcamel dot com first .. always. It seems pretty common that after an item has a surge of interest the price will jump for a week or two.

Brian Elfert
11-25-2016, 11:22 PM
I bought a flatbed scanner today and camelcamcelcamel doesn't show the price ever having been lower. I was going to buy some pants from Kohl's, but I decided it wasn't worth driving over there to save $6 or so on a pair of pants. Kohl's typically has the pants "on sale" for $20 and they were $15 today minus a 15% coupon. Never seen them below $20 except on Black Friday.

A lot of stuff sold on Black Friday is cheap junk made just for Black Friday.

John K Jordan
11-26-2016, 6:46 AM
I have seen three sites increase prices in the last few days:

Zoro Tools prices increased and the coupon the offer comes through blank.
Factory Outlet's 20% off code for November evaporated and no discounts apply.
A couple of items being watched in Amazon increased a whopping 45%.

Shoppers beware.

Years ago My Lovely Bride wanted a small TV for the kitchen. We headed to hhgregg, sale flyer in hand offering a percentage off the sticker price on all TVs. Big surprise, hhgregg had increased the prices on all the TVs for the sale but someone FORGOT to change the sticker on the one we had looked at a few days before. I insisted they discount the sticker price; the manager was neither gracious nor cheerful.

I'll never shop at hhgregg again.

Of course, I hadn't shopped there before either since they don't sell woodturning tools, pressure treated lumber, or chicken feed...

JKJ

glenn bradley
11-26-2016, 8:59 AM
I love my wife but I have so often tried to explain to her that 20% off isn't a "good buy" after they raised the price of the item 30% the day of the sale.

We don't have any shopping plans today.

I did order a new mitre saw, a Hitachi C12RSH and stand earlier this week.

I often tease the wife that she would rather pay more "on sale" than less at the "normal" price. Not true but, I do catch her logic engine misfiring while shopping "sales" at times :D:D:D

Anthony Whitesell
11-26-2016, 9:36 AM
That's the difference between the internet and brick-and-mortar. In NH, you cannot raise the price and then put it on sale at the same time. To get around the law, some retailers will raise the price 3-4 weeks in advance and then put the item on sale for just slightly less than the price it was 5 weeks ago. Then they claim/advertise BIG savings. I know of a particular supermarket that was/is notorious for doing this. The state cannot govern what happens on the internet though.

Brian Elfert
11-26-2016, 11:13 AM
That's the difference between the internet and brick-and-mortar. In NH, you cannot raise the price and then put it on sale at the same time. To get around the law, some retailers will raise the price 3-4 weeks in advance and then put the item on sale for just slightly less than the price it was 5 weeks ago. Then they claim/advertise BIG savings. I know of a particular supermarket that was/is notorious for doing this. The state cannot govern what happens on the internet though.

Clothing stores are famous for this. I don't think I have ever seen Kohl's have anything priced at the actual retail listed on the price tag unless it is price controlled like Nike.

I look at the bottom line price when shopping for anything, not the savings. If I buy a car I want to know the bottom line price, not the monthly cost or any of that other BS. On the Little House on the Prairie TV show one time the merchantile raised the prices on everything and then advertised in the local newspapers a huge percent off sale where the sale prices were actually higher than normal. Customers flocked to the store. (Now this was a TV show, but it happens in real life too.)

michael langman
11-26-2016, 12:34 PM
I called customer service at harbor freight, and told them they advertised the 25% off for one item, for black Friday, and I could not find the code number anywhere.
After the customer service representitive spent 10 minutes trying to find the code number, he then gave me the 25% off for the dust collector. Go figure!