PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Designs Magpul Pmags

Jonathan Groves
11-25-2016, 1:35 AM
I've had some interest in having some AR polymer magazines engraved and when looking it up online I came across this video.

https://youtu.be/NYKP4DllFlU

In this video, the engraved surface appears almost "tan" on a black magazine. Other old threads with pictures do not show this to be the case which is confusing. I have a 60w Epilog C02 Helix and any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Neville Stewart
11-25-2016, 6:43 AM
Done on a Trotec Fiber. No way on a CO2, I can't do it on my fiber with the same settings.

Gary Hair
11-25-2016, 10:17 AM
I've never figured out the settings for them on my fiber but I have done tons of Pmag Iphone cases. You might think they are the same... they are not...

Jonathan Groves
11-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Interesting. If I didnt know any better, I'd say that they dyed a tan pmag black and layered off the dye/paint. I don't see how a fiber laser could change the color like that.

Gary Hair
11-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Interesting. If I didnt know any better, I'd say that they dyed a tan pmag black and layered off the dye/paint. I don't see how a fiber laser could change the color like that.

Trust me, it does work. I have lasered hundreds of iPhone cases that way. You can't do it with a co2, only with a fiber, and it took me a while to find the right combination of focus, power, speed, hatch and frequency. There is a very narrow window of settings that turn it tan, the rest pretty much burn it.

Neville Stewart
11-29-2016, 8:16 AM
As Gary will attest, it's like it's changing the dye inside the material, there's no discernible change to the surface. I've seen videos of my friends Trotec mark a complete mag in 10 seconds and using his exact settings, I could not replicate it. I'm curious if it's the difference between pulsed and mopa laser source.

Andy Butters
11-30-2016, 4:23 PM
Wow that is one heck of a machine! When I first saw the vid I thought it had been massively sped up but after reading your replies I am thinking that's real time?