PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Woodworking in Estonia?

Frederick Skelly
11-24-2016, 9:56 PM
Every time I see that book for sale, I do a "Huh? Why would I care about THAT?" But every book I've bought from LAP has been a good one.

What do you make of it? What's the "benefit" (or maybe the value?) of this book? What's there to learn?

Not trying to be a wise guy. I just havent been able to see why I'd want such a book. Help me out guys. What am I not seeing here?

Thanks,
Fred

Bill Houghton
11-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Our library system had it. It's been a while since I read it, but I remember it as more sociological than technical; fascinating nonetheless. If you want to see for yourself, see if your library system has it, and, if not, if you can request it on interlibrary loan. I get books on interlibrary loan all the time, and have yet to be charged for the loan (but see what your system's policies are).

Eric Brown
11-25-2016, 7:41 AM
It does not go into how to do projects but more the way they approached life. By looking at the pictures and reading the text you can see that they used what they had or modified it to get the goals accomplished. Their methods were also very utilitarian. The section on bending shows some great ideas on methods used for making boxes for instance. The book has nothing on veneering or inlay. I like the book but if you are after more how-to type information the Hayward Years books will more than satisfy.

Mel Fulks
11-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Haven't seen the book but Eric's comment about content is what I expected. The people of those small countries had a terrible time during the war and have a strong love of home. I worked for a few years with a fine cabinet maker from Lithuania who told war stories that got him worked up like they happened yesterday. I tried to show him my knowledge of foreign policy once by referring to Latvia ,Estonia ,and Lithouania in diplomat jargon..."submerged countries". He yelled "Submerged!! So that's what you call stealing now?

Frederick Skelly
11-25-2016, 3:40 PM
Thanks guys!
Fred

Eric Brown
11-27-2016, 8:46 AM
The book contains information you might not find anywhere else that may or may not be of interest. As an example, in the first section on timber, he talks about when to cut down the trees. Usually done in winter with the months of December and January preferred. Why? Apparently the sap has gone to the roots and the boards cut from these trees will be stronger, straighter and less prone to rot and insects. They even had laws enforcing when trees could be cut. It goes much further. They even considered things like the phases of the moon, wind direction, and some somewhat magical beliefs about the direction the tree should be felled or how the axe was applied. To quote from the book "At least in West Estonia there was an accepted rule for such an axe blow: When felling a tree for timber you must not touch the tree with a bare hand before the tree has been hit with the axe; if this is done, maggots will eat that tree." The months of March and April are used to haul the wood out and then later to de-bark and cut into boards. How about this one: "When you are off to cut wood for cartwheels, you must not whistle, or else the cart would creak". The book is almost 300 pages in a 8 1/2" x 11" size. It is full of the above types of information. Makes me wonder if there is much fact behind the beliefs. The cutting in winter probably has merit but not so sure about wind direction or touching. The book makes me think about things in a different perspective. I recommend it to anyone trying to understand wood a little better.

Tom Vanzant
11-27-2016, 9:11 AM
It sounds very much like the "Foxfire" books about the old life style in Appalachia, with a bit of "The Farmer's Almanac" thrown in. BTW, both are interesting reads.

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2016, 9:51 AM
Thanks Eric! I think I'll take Bill's advice and get it at the library. That way, if I get into it and dont enjoy it, I'm not out any money.

Depending on what they say, wind direction might be more than folk magic. I've read that some parts of wooden sailing ships were deliberately cut from portions of trees shaped roughly the same as the finished part needed to be. In some cases, the direction of prevailing winds over time is one factor in that.

Tom, thanks for the tip on Foxfire. I think I'll go have a look at those.

Fred

Mel Fulks
11-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Eric,that is some wild interesting stuff! It's sad how much ancient knowledge is being lost to Prozac.

Mark AJ Allen
11-27-2016, 1:52 PM
Funny enough, it reads exactly as the content was intended; a PhD thesis. It's historically interesting, though as a read, found it dry.