PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Calabash

brian zawatsky
11-24-2016, 9:53 PM
Just finished this calabash-style bowl in African mahogany. Measures about 9 inches diameter by 3 3/4 inches deep.
Need to let the finish cure out for about a week, then I'll buff it.
Finish is Old Masters Quick-Drying Varnish.

Frederick Skelly
11-24-2016, 10:10 PM
I love african mahogany. It's always so pretty. The grain really sets off your bowl. Between the grain and the style, it makes me want to reach out and touch/handle that piece. It's a beaut!
Fred

daryl moses
11-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Very nice Brian. Great form and the Mahogany is beautiful.
I've got a calabash roughed out in White Oak that I hope to finish in a couple of months, unfortunately it being Whte Oak it will look plain compared to yours.

brian zawatsky
11-25-2016, 6:38 PM
Thanks guys. I'm finally getting the hang of making finish cuts in dry wood. Super sharp gouge, bevel control, and a light hand lead to way less sanding lol

brian zawatsky
11-25-2016, 6:39 PM
Very nice Brian. Great form and the Mahogany is beautiful. I've got a calabash roughed out in White Oak that I hope to finish in a couple of months, unfortunately it being Whte Oak it will look plain compared to yours.

If you can expose some quarter sawn grain, the ray fleck looks amazing in a turned piece.

Dennis Ford
11-25-2016, 8:01 PM
Great bowl!

daryl moses
11-25-2016, 9:35 PM
If you can expose some quarter sawn grain, the ray fleck looks amazing in a turned piece.
Hopefully it will have some in it, hard to tell in it's rough form. I'll post a pic in a few months when I get it finished.