PDA

View Full Version : Bridal Chest Lid

Jim Gallo
11-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Over a year later, I'm still working on the bridal chest that was supposed to be a wedding present for my son and his wife. The chest has been done for over 8 months, and I've been juggling it between my 2 benches. My problem is the lid. This is the third lid I've built, and I screwed it up too, but I really don't want to build a fourth. I won't bore you with the mistakes I made, but this last lid is solid wood, which potato chipped on me, even after taking all the precautions ( acclimating the wood before milling, milling in steps over a few weeks time, only removing small amounts from both sides each time, etc.) After hand planing the final glue up ( 24" x 45")I ended up with a lid a little better than 5/8" thick. It does not look right on the chest. My plan is to glue my 2nd attempt to my third attempt, gluing the worst side of 2nd lid to worst side of 3rd lid, to give me some thickness. The 2nd lid was made from veneered 3/4" mdf with a mahogany frame. The 3rd lid is solid mahogany 5/8". Do any of you foresee any issues with my plan? Any and all guidance and direction is welcome, as well as criticism. You can't hurt my feelings or pride any more than I've hurt them myself!!! Thanks, Jim

Wayne Lomman
11-24-2016, 4:42 PM
Jim, are you able to post a photo or even a hand drawing of what you want to achieve? It would help us to give more relevant and positive advice.

Fixing a solid timber panel to an mdf panel is probably not going to work due to differential movement. The solid mahogany would have to be 5mm or thinner. Cheers

Jerry Miner
11-25-2016, 2:31 PM
Fixing a solid timber panel to an mdf panel is probably not going to work due to differential movement.

I second that notion. If you try to marry solid wood to mdf, you will need to allow for the movement differential, or you will have another disappointment.

What's wrong with lid #3? Too thin? How about adding some material to the edges (keeping the grain orientation the same as the existing panel)?

Not flat? How about a couple of strong-back cleats, or a frame-and-panel assembly?