PDA

View Full Version : We had some unexpected visitors this morning

Curt Harms
11-24-2016, 10:40 AM
And given that today is "Turkey Day" I thought this appropriate. And no, they're not on the menu:).

348119 348118 348120

John A langley
11-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Those are some brave birds they must not know what day it is

John K Jordan
11-24-2016, 11:24 AM
... they must not know what day it is

Maybe they sense this is a safe place!

Rich Riddle
11-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Talk about fresh turkey.....

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2016, 2:11 PM
The arrogant rascals are taunting you!

Curt Harms
11-25-2016, 8:21 AM
Maybe they sense this is a safe place!

That might be it. Maybe they noticed the game trail from our deck with its bird seed and dry cat food to the brush in the back.:) Some species seem to adjust to suburbia just fine.

Jim Becker
11-25-2016, 10:02 AM
They really have had to adapt in our area (and most areas) to development that's interrupted their traditional trails and local seasonal migratory routes, Curt. Population is up (just like with deer) and a lot of their previous feeding territory has been disrupted. Acorns are a big normal food source for turkeys and when houses go up...trees come down. So they have to adapt accordingly. We've noticed changes here on our property with the flock movement since a larger Toll Bros development was completed over off Upper Mountain Road. We used to regularly get larger flocks...20-30 birds...and now it's usually smaller gatherings most of the time. One year, there was a group of five young males that used to stand outside my shop windows begging for corn. :)

michael langman
11-25-2016, 12:56 PM
The deer in Vermont have suffered greatly because of the introduced turkey population.

Shawn Pixley
11-25-2016, 3:08 PM
Many moons ago, when I lived in the heartland, I bow-hunted for wild turkey. They were very uncommon and very wary. back then. I never heard of the wild turkey going around people for any reason. Is there a food shortage?

Jim Becker
11-25-2016, 7:20 PM
Many moons ago, when I lived in the heartland, I bow-hunted for wild turkey. They were very uncommon and very wary. back then. I never heard of the wild turkey going around people for any reason. Is there a food shortage?
Flock size is up and "wild land" is down, so like other creatures, they get used to people and take advantage of food supply wherever they can find it. They do eat some things, like other fowl, that can be appreciated, including insects like ticks. Wild turkeys nearly went extinct awhile back, but have regenerated impressively to the point they are abundant.

Matt Marsh
11-28-2016, 9:57 AM
I hate having these guys around! They are not native to this area of Northern Minnesota, and have only been around for the past maybe 10 years or so. They are like a bad neighborhood gang. I've seen flocks of over a dozen at a time in my yard and on my deck and house. They land on my roof and peck/pull at the shingle tabs, they land on my deck and crap all over it, the grill, the patio furniture, etc. One even landed on my heated bird bath and bent the wrought iron bracket. And this is what I have came home from work to on several occasions. It seems the toms get pretty ticked off at the competition in the reflected glass of the patio doors.

Shawn Pixley
11-28-2016, 10:02 AM
This shows what happens when the predator and prey get out of balance. Couple that with habitat loss and it is exacerbated.

Matt Marsh
11-28-2016, 10:50 AM
I have also noticed a drastic drop in the number of Ruffed Grouse (which are native to this area) around my place since these guys have taken over.

Matt Marsh
11-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Not much for habitat loss here. As far as predators go, we have a healthy population of those too. Coyotes, fox, Timber wolves, bears, skunks, etc.

Pat Barry
11-28-2016, 1:02 PM
This was this morning in our little Twin Cities suburb. My wife took the picture from her car. She had to wait for the turkey's to cross the road!

michel gorge
11-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Like they found the partying place for hanging out :D