PDA

View Full Version : $500 burning a hole in my pocket

Kevin Smira
11-24-2016, 8:38 AM
I know this is a good position to be in, but... I divested another hobby yesterday (leatherworking) and made $500. Now, I'm going to invest it in woodworking. I already have a table saw, mitre saw, drill press, and various other items. I don't have room for a planer or jointer or bandsaw (large one) but have access to all of that at the local army base wood shop. So, I'm looking at spending the money on something...anyone want to help me? Was thinking about the ubiquitous ridgid spindle sander. I bought some Rali handplanes when I was in Switzerland last, so I don't need planes. However, a set of chisels might be good, a good hand saw, sharpening?

Thanks for hearing me ramble,
Kevin

Michael Alu
11-24-2016, 9:00 AM
I know this is a good position to be in, but... I divested another hobby yesterday (leatherworking) and made $500. Now, I'm going to invest it in woodworking. I already have a table saw, mitre saw, drill press, and various other items. I don't have room for a planer or jointer or bandsaw (large one) but have access to all of that at the local army base wood shop. So, I'm looking at spending the money on something...anyone want to help me? Was thinking about the ubiquitous ridgid spindle sander. I bought some Rali handplanes when I was in Switzerland last, so I don't need planes. However, a set of chisels might be good, a good hand saw, sharpening?

Thanks for hearing me ramble,
Kevin

I would offer my advice as to figure out some projects you want to do and start working on them. Then you may realize that you need a certain tool or tools to help you complete it. That's when you buy them. I find that if I buy something on impulse that more often times than not it ends up collecting dust in a corner. So figure out some items/projects you want to build and base your tool purchases off of that.

Jim Becker
11-24-2016, 9:47 AM
My choice would be additional quality hand-tools that will let you kick your woodworking up a notch. I use my chisels and hand saws (dovetail and crosscut) more than I ever imagined I would. I have a spindle sander. I use it about once a year. Maybe... ;)

John K Jordan
11-24-2016, 10:11 AM
... $500. Now, I'm going to invest it in woodworking.... sharpening?

I'd buy a fantastic piece of wood for immediate gratification, er, use, and put the rest in a safe place for when the need arises. Hide it from your relatives. Far better than spending it all now on something based on others ideas! (I can't talk, I spent a windfall once on a metal lathe and milling machine and all the tooling.)

I've found that an "investment" in sharpening is never wasted.

And how about a new, related hobby that doesn't take up much space and doesn't cost a lot? I would personally recommend a small lathe which the $500 will get but you would spend twice that much on tools and accessories. Might take up too much space, too, unless you went for one of the little portable lathes designed for small things like pen turning.

Have you ever considered carving or chip carving? $50 will get you started with chip carving, assuming you already have ways to sharpen.

JKJ

Mike Cutler
11-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Me personally, I'd invest in some nice wood.
Tools and machines are easier to buy project specific, when needed. It's always nice to have a "stash" of wood. ;)

Dave Cav
11-24-2016, 5:08 PM
My recommendation would be a set of Narex chisels from Lee Valley and a couple of Shapton non-glass sharpening stones, probably 1000 and 6000. If you have any money left over, a Lee Valley sharpening jig setup.

Sam Murdoch
11-24-2016, 6:28 PM
Do you have clamps, a good orbital sander, clamps, marking tools, clamps? Chisels and sharpening stones are certainly invaluable essentials in a woodworking shop but clamps, marking tools, maybe a router - all good too.

Ray Newman
11-24-2016, 7:34 PM
I would the money away until you decide/know what you want to do.

As for buying some tools/tooling like a "set of" chisels and router bits, it might be better to buy what you need when actually needed. I have a set of six chisels, but really only use 2 or 3 out of the six chisel set.

Van Huskey
11-24-2016, 9:17 PM
HOnestly, I don't think you are "tooled up" enough to just spend on a whim, start your next project and it will guide you to what you NEED, my bet is measuring tools and clamps end up eating some of that money, along with sanding and finishing supplies.

Don Jarvie
11-24-2016, 9:37 PM
Starrett combo square, marking gauge, chisels, starrett 6" ruler and other tools to help laying out projects. Machines are great but some nice hand tools help.