PDA

View Full Version : Not Bacon, but

Steve Clardy
06-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Makin Railin. Ha. Heres some shots of some walnut railing I'm making for a current staircase job. Used to make railing with my shaper, but now use my molder. Lots easier. Steve

Steve Clardy
06-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Oh for a decent dust hood.

Steve Clardy
06-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Sure wish these manufacturers would get on the band wagon on dust and chip removal. Seems like 99% of these machines have to be retrofited. Think I'll get a jet engine to spin a 30" wheel and use a 20" hose to pick up the chips on this one. I do need to change it over to 6". Should help considerable. Steve

Charles McKinley
06-18-2003, 2:27 PM
Hi Steve,

It looks nice.

How many passes does it take to make the rail?

Is the machine convertable to the sander and planer?

What are your other likes and dislikes about it?

Bobby Hatfield
06-18-2003, 2:30 PM
Steve is that a Belsaw, Woodmaster or RBI ? I have a small Belsaw and cut a hole in the top of the cover and added my (very crude) version of a dust hood that works.

Steve Clardy
06-18-2003, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by Charles McKinley
Hi Steve,

It looks nice.

How many passes does it take to make the rail?

Is the machine convertable to the sander and planer?

What are your other likes and dislikes about it?
Charles, it takes about four passes per side. Have to go easy on walnut as the figure likes to pop out. Yes, I have the complete setup for this 18" Woodmaster. Sander head, planer knives, though I don't use them. I dedicate this as a molder only.
Other than the collection being poor, it's a nice machine. Just make sure when you have knives made they are balanced properly, or it will vibrate.

Steve Clardy
06-18-2003, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Hatfield
Steve is that a Belsaw, Woodmaster or RBI ? I have a small Belsaw and cut a hole in the top of the cover and added my (very crude) version of a dust hood that works.
Yo Bobby. This is Woodmasters 18" combo machine. Nice. I also have a old 12" belsaw, probably like yours, about 30 years old. Wish it had the variable speed like the 18". May retro it one of these days. I also redid the hood on it, but leaves a lot to be desired. Send me a pic of yours, will look it over. Steve

Steve Clardy
06-18-2003, 3:02 PM
with the exception of sanding. 3 Layers of walnut, rails are 3"x2".

Ed Falis
06-18-2003, 3:41 PM
What models do you guys have? I picked up a 985 (#4500950 sold by Powermatic) last weekend. It needs some refurbishment, but ought to be good to go. Any ideas on getting a manual?

- Ed

Steve Clardy
06-18-2003, 3:48 PM
Originally posted by Ed Falis
What models do you guys have? I picked up a 985 (#4500950 sold by Powermatic) last weekend. It needs some refurbishment, but ought to be good to go. Any ideas on getting a manual?

- Ed
ED, mine belsaw is much older than yours, model 9123. Check out http:\www.belsaw.com
They still have older parts and manuals. Steve

Ed Falis
06-18-2003, 3:56 PM
Thanks, Steve.

Ed Falis
06-19-2003, 7:18 PM
Steve,

I called Belsaw yesterday and they have manuals and lots of spare parts. Going to be a fun project fixing this guy up.

- Ed

Steve Clardy
06-19-2003, 7:23 PM
Glad we could help out. I have some old machinery I also need to re-do and get usuable, but, lack of time--------

Steve

Steve Clardy
06-19-2003, 10:55 PM
while your ordering parts, I suggest replacing the roller tension springs. Really helps, they are cheap to replace, though it takes 10 hands to replace them. Also, trash likes to build up under the feed roller brass bushings, keeping the rollers up some. Take a bar and lift the rollers up and clean out underneath the bushings where they sit in the castings, or your's might be stamped steel. What this does is that it keeps the rollers up some and when you feed it wood, it EATS the first and last 5-6 inches of wood, and might throw it at you.
Steve

Ed Falis
06-20-2003, 1:04 PM
Steve,

I'll be sure to check both of those things out. Right now, I have it partly disassembled (so two of us could get it moved). But this weekend, it's putting in some power for the saw in the new shop, so we can start getting civilized around here.

Thanks again. Don't be surprised if I have some more questions for you at some point.

- Ed