PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice cherry board

Bob Glenn
11-23-2016, 3:48 PM
I'm building a Pennsylvania secretary and have purchased most the cherry cut from the same tree. However, I don't have a board that is wide enough for the desk lid. I need something in excess of 14 inches, 4/4's at least 3 feet in length and hopefully with a nice figure in the grain since it will be front and center. I was at WWIA and spoke with a sawyer who said they could supply my needs. Upon contacting the company they said they usually only sell full flitches and didn't know if they would have what I needed.

We are currently traveling for the holidays in the DC area, so could stop anywhere between there and Indiana on the way home to select and pick up the piece.
Any leads or suggestions? Bob

Prashun Patel
11-23-2016, 3:58 PM
If you have to do a single board, you're a ways from Pennsylvania, but I highly recommend Horizon Wood. You should be able to source a stunning, curly cherry slab that's at least 14" wide.

Not interested in veneering that lid? Better figure + better stability???

Stan Calow
11-23-2016, 4:04 PM
I had similar need once and called Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, Pennsylvania. They picked a board that fit my description and shipped it. No complaints.

Bill Houghton
11-23-2016, 4:06 PM
http://www.woodfinder.com/

Bob Glenn
11-23-2016, 4:12 PM
If you have to do a single board, you're a ways from Pennsylvania, but I highly recommend Horizon Wood. You should be able to source a stunning, curly cherry slab that's at least 14" wide.
Not interested in veneering that lid? Better figure + better stability???Horizon is the place that told me they didn't think they could fill my needs. No, definity not interested in veneering. I'll be bread boarding the lid. Thanks anyway. Bob

Paul McGaha
11-23-2016, 5:21 PM
I had similar need once and called Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, Pennsylvania. They picked a board that fit my description and shipped it. No complaints.

I use Groff and Groff. Really like them. About 2 1/2 hours from Washington, DC. Nice drive up there. Beautiful Amish farm country.

http://www.groffslumber.com/

PHM

Mel Fulks
11-23-2016, 9:40 PM
I think in your inquiries you should say whether you would accept sap edges in that dimension. For that purpose, I would not. Would rather have glue joint in two pieces from same board.

Brian Holcombe
11-23-2016, 10:59 PM
It's not impossible to find in dimensional lumber, but certainly rare. I would expect to buy a flitch if I were set on the above choice. I can't imagine why sequenced matched or book matched boards wouldn't look as nice or nicer than one piece.

Usually on any given day at my local yard I'll be able to find 12" clear cherry without issue, and flitches out to 20" wide or more.

Pete Taran
11-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Bob,

Contact my brother at his website curlymaple.com. He operates in north central PA and might have what you need. There is some wide cherry that gets cut now and then. He does mail order, so no need to travel.

steven c newman
11-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Sometimes, just a yard sale away...
Walnut on the right, Cherry on the left, at the bottom edges of both
And the top half. Just using the last of the Cherry now. The two planks price? $1 each....

Derek Cohen
11-24-2016, 2:15 AM
Personally, I would use a narrower board and resaw it for a bookmatched wide board. This will offers a more symmetrical presentation than a single wide board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Robert LaPlaca
11-24-2016, 8:08 AM
Irion lumber would be my go to, they have some unbelievable Cherry.

Frank Drew
11-25-2016, 3:47 PM
Personally, I would use a narrower board and resaw it for a bookmatched wide board. This will offers a more symmetrical presentation than a single wide board.Derek

No doubt the mirror-image of a bookmatch would be precisely symmetrical but I like the cathedral pattern of a wide flat cut board for the natural variation, not to mention all the other highly pleasing grain patterns one can find (if one is lucky).

Frank Drew
11-25-2016, 3:51 PM
Irion lumber would be my go to, they have some unbelievable Cherry.

Robert,

Wood to drool over is pretty much their specialty, isn't it?

Bob Glenn
11-25-2016, 4:03 PM
Thanks, for the leads. I think I can find what I need from the above sources. Been visiting family in the east over Thanksgiving, and I'm already itching to get back to work in the shop. Bob

Robert LaPlaca
11-25-2016, 4:17 PM
Frank, I have bought lumber from every lumber dealer mentioned in this thread (except for Horizon), Irion has amazing lumber. Irion has a email that they send to past customers, with 'private stock' matched sets of lumber that have become available, the quality and quality of the Cherry sets is absolutely mind blowing.

I have actually bought matched sets of Mahogany from Irion, not too sure there are many lumber dealers who could match that feat..

Robert Engel
11-25-2016, 4:49 PM
Anybody ever had an luck with Woodfinder?

I've yet to see a sawmill listed its always commerical hardwood suppliers and Woodcraft.

Kevin Hampshire
11-25-2016, 8:47 PM
Bob, I would be very surprised if Irion couldn't supply your needs. They handle some of the best. Groff also tends to have nicer stuff on hand.

If you're not familiar with them, these aren't Mom and Pop operations but some of the best suppliers in this part of the country.

Bob Glenn
11-28-2016, 6:59 PM
I went to Irion Lumber this afternoon on the way home to Indiana. It's a little hard to find even with a GPS, which got us close, but then we found our selves on a dirt road on top of a hill with three lanes to chose from. The second choice got us to where we were going. Pulled in and was greeted by Myron, who introduced himself. He couldn't have been more helpful even though they prefer to sell whole flitches. Anyway, found the board that I needed and was on my way. This is an unbelievable place. I saw book matched hardwood boards that were three feet wide! Well worth the money if you are making that special piece. Thanks for the leads. Bob Glenn