PDA

View Full Version : Showing Off

James Waldron
11-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Wanted to share my new tool box.

And, by the way, I've taken on three new apprentices!

Well, actually, I've just returned from France, where my blushing bride dragged me to almost every chateau over there. And there are a lot.

Turned out, some of the oldest furnishings and the kitchen furnishings were the most interesting for me. I think marquetry is stunning when well done, but not something I want to live with or make, so simpler designs and constructs are more appealing for me.

The above photos are from one of the most beautiful of the Chateau in the Loire Valley, the famous Château de Chenonceau:

348051 348052

Spent more than half a day at the Musée du Compagnonnage (http://www.museecompagnonnage.fr/genealogie-presentation-an.html) in Tours. Well worth a side trip to Tours if you can manage it; the woodworking is stunning.

Just a taste, if you have no idea what it's all about:

To become a Master in the Guild for your craft, you must produce a Masterpiece. These are judged by senior masters in the Guild to decide whether you qualify as a Master or not. (If not, you remain a Journeyman, limited to being hired help for some Master. Only a Master can open a shop of his own.) Your Masterpiece better be pretty good, 'cause the standards are pretty high. For example, from the carpenter's guild, I've got a few shots to share:

348054 348055 348056

Numerous other craft Guilds are included. I paid them a lot less attention.

If you can get to Tours, don't miss it.

David Eisenhauer
11-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Outstanding. The tool box is right up there with the (what was it?) Studley? (something like that) tool box. I do recommend that your shop help acquire some Norm tool belts for general efficiency. What are those fantastic beam, tower-looking models in the last photos?

Bill Houghton
11-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Imagine having to clean all those windows...

Methinks your blushing bride would not be blushing if you brought those apprentices into the shop, but rather would be red with rage.

Thanks for the photos. Sounds like it was a good trip and/or honeymoon (it's possible to have more than one honeymoon).

James Waldron
11-23-2016, 1:22 PM
Outstanding. The tool box is right up there with the (what was it?) Studley? (something like that) tool box. I do recommend that your shop help acquire some Norm tool belts for general efficiency. What are those fantastic beam, tower-looking models in the last photos?

Sorry I wasn't clear: Those last three shots are each some poor Journeyman's Masterpiece to qualify as a Master. When these guys say "Masterpiece" they mean it.
Interesting - to me at least - is that the Journeyman must be working full time for a Master and design and build his Masterpiece on his own (very limited) free time.