PDA

View Full Version : Festool carvex PSB420EBQ jigsaw

Martin Wasner
11-23-2016, 8:48 AM
Does anybody know if this model has a brake? I've sworn for years jigsaws need a brake. I was hoping since it was brushless that it would have one, but I can't find anything saying it does.

Why? I hate waiting for the blade to stop moving before pulling it out of a cut. Especially when doing crown, it drives me absolutely insane.

Jim Becker
11-23-2016, 10:14 AM
I have a much earlier model and it works the same way as all the other jig saws I've ever used in that respect...no brake. I'm not familiar with the current offer, however. You might want to contact Bob Marino (http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/) and ask him...best Festool dealer on the planet. ;)

Mike Cutler
11-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Martin
If by having a brake, you mean an instantaneous mechanical stopping of the blade anywhere in the stroke, then no it does not have one like that. It stops within one stroke of letting go of the trigger. The trigger is variable speed, so you should be able to slow it down prior to release.I have a Milwaukee Jigsaw, and I understand what you mean about the blade continuing after you let off on the trigger. It's a very nice jigsaw, better than my Milwaukee by a lot. ;)
I think it will do what you need, slow it down and release the trigger, and it should stop very quickly.

Van Huskey
11-23-2016, 11:26 PM
Yep, no brake. I have done a lot of jigsaw shopping lately and still on the fence, there are a number of excellent jigsaws if you need precision and a bunch of much cheaper ones if you just need a hard working saw. Of the former, the Carvex is one of my least favorites but it is still a great saw.

Scott Brandstetter
11-24-2016, 12:02 AM
Don't mean to change the thought of the thread, and maybe I should start another thread, but I read this before I went into my shop today and thought, "I rarely use my Dewalt Jig Saw" and wondered why this is a big topic. I then proceeded to use my Jig Saw all night; haven't used it in months. Again, I don't mean disrespect, just wondering if you all use your jig saw that much? I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Mike Cutler
11-24-2016, 4:21 AM
Don't mean to change the thought of the thread, and maybe I should start another thread, but I read this before I went into my shop today and thought, "I rarely use my Dewalt Jig Saw" and wondered why this is a big topic. I then proceeded to use my Jig Saw all night; haven't used it in months. Again, I don't mean disrespect, just wondering if you all use your jig saw that much? I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Scott

A jigsaw is one of those tools that when you have the need for it, you know it. To be brutally honest, I probably use a jigsaw for template making more than any other task. Sounds as if Martin does a lot of trim moulding and needs one to cope with.
If it's a cheap one, which I have a B&D that fit's this category, it's very frustrating to use and just trying to hold it to the line is pretty difficult. ( I should toss that one.)
My Milwaukee is better than the B&D by a mile, but it will not consistently cut an edge even remotely close to 90 degrees, especially in a tight curve.
I don't think you're "missing out on something". If your DeWalt is doing what you need it too, you're all set. If it's not, when you finally have a significant enough need for a more "accurate" jigsaw, you'll know it.

Van Huskey
11-24-2016, 5:01 AM
If coping is the #1 need then you probably want a Collins foot. The best saws (available new) IMO that Collins makes a coping foot for would be the Metabo, Carvex, Trion (Festool) and certainly the Mafell. While Mafell is head and shoulders above any other jigsaw (and priced accordingly) it is only available in barrel grip and based on the Carvex model number Martin supplied he is a D-handle guy. The Metabo is a really good jigsaw, Collins makes a foot and it is only available in the US in D-handle and is cheaper than the Trion or Carvex (~230). It doesn't come in a Systainer though... and for many is the wrong color of green.

Martin Wasner
11-24-2016, 7:05 AM
I've never seen a base plate like that. I'm not sure it would do me any good coping though. I don't let anything but the blade touch the material.

And yes, I am a D handle guy.

Jim Becker
11-24-2016, 9:40 AM
Interestingly (and strangely), my Festool jigsaw was my very first Festool purchase...the timing of "need" and interest in the brand happened to coincide. I use mine more than I ever would have imagined I would, both in the shop and during home improvement projects. The latter was the most recent use...in my mini-renovation of a bathroom, it was used to cut a nice sorta-round 4" hole for the new shower's drain in the floor. :) Yea, not precision work. That time. But in the shop, it gets time on many projects, both on the project and when creating jigs. Let's just stay, its Systainer is more toward the top of the stack than the bottom. :)

One of the benefits of a "better tool" for a jigsaw is better cutting accuracy...being able to make a cut where the blade remains perpendicular to the stock and is easy to follow "the line" makes for a happier woodworker. The el-cheapo I had before that was a "hot mess" and pretty much worthless for any kind of precision.

Bob Cooper
11-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Van, what's a good- aka pleasant to use/easy to change the blade - jigsaw that in the "reasonably priced" category. Say sub $200 I've got a very old Bosch that I would from an auction that has seen better days.

Van Huskey
11-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Van, what's a good- aka pleasant to use/easy to change the blade - jigsaw that in the "reasonably priced" category. Say sub $200 I've got a very old Bosch that I would from an auction that has seen better days.

Honestly, my only hands-on experience with jigsaws is the upper end and the low end, the closest to your budget I have experience with is the Metabo 140 at about $230 which is a great saw. My guess is the Bosch 470 jigsaws would be the place to start and they run about $160.

BTW seeing you are in Columbia reminded me of mornings driving through Malfunction Junction...

peter gagliardi
11-24-2016, 12:18 PM
I have the festool saw mentioned. It does have some sort of fast stop mechanism, even if not an actual brake. It is a good saw if you don't mind being irritated by it's quirks everytime you use it.
Trigger and speed control are a PITA to use. The side handle safety button, which only happens to be on the left side of handle when right side up is a real "engineering marvel"!!!!
Lefties, and upside down right handed users will have their patience tested.
I own that saw, and the Trion, and I honestly like the old Bosch D handle Swiss made unit much better from a user standpoint. I think it was the 1573 if I remember.
I do appreciate the light though.

Van Huskey
11-24-2016, 8:01 PM
I honestly like the old Bosch D handle Swiss made unit much better from a user standpoint. I think it was the 1573 if I remember.

YOu may be thinking of the one that preceded the 572 which was the 1590 or maybe the one before that but I can't remember the model. The 1590 and 1591 (barrel) were possibly the best jigsaws ever made (except the Mafell which is in a class by itself) and are sought after in the secondary market.