PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a 20" delta bs

Dave Macy
11-22-2016, 7:44 PM
A friend of our cousin has an old (from the 60's like as old as my dad lol) bandsaw from delta. It's a 20". It's 3 phase but I know folks say we can get a phase inverter for it. What should I look for when we're looking at it? They don't have 3ph there so I can't see it run, but it's $400. Any advice? My dad would go with me because I have never driven that far. We'd have to get it into a pickup but I really want to know how to tell if it's any good. I know the motor is original and is the 1-1/2hp 87-120 motor. Thanks

Eric Rimel
11-22-2016, 8:51 PM
If I recall correctly, they made these as a 2 speed, as a woods saw and as a metals saw. I would first determine which one it is. The (aluminum?) trunnions on these saws get worn, throwing the table/blade 90 degree relationship all out of whack. I'd check that next. Tire condition would be an obvious one. Blade guide condition. Nothing really special to check. When looking at a bandsaw, I'd check all this stuff regardless of make. Give the wheels a spin, listen for crunchy bearings. I had an older version of this saw. It was a workhorse. If you can't run it you cant really guarantee the motor works regardless of type. That's a bargaining point.

Ronald Blue
11-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Check out what Van Huskey has to say on the Delta's in this thread I am posting. I doubt you will find a better all around authority on band saws than Van. Also bearings are a minor concern as are tires. Eventually any band saw will need both in their life. If you buy a quality American made machine you will always appreciate it especially every time you use it. At least that's what those that have them say. Good luck and I am sure Van will weigh in as soon as he sees this thread anyway.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?249021-40th-birthday-bandsaw

Van Huskey
11-23-2016, 12:37 AM
First, Ronald is too kind with his words, what do they say 10,000 hours to become and expert? If so I guess I am getting close to an expert at answering posts and PMs about bandsaws and maybe looking at them on CL, auctions and eBay... :D

The saw is likely a 28-350 and most likely not a metal saw, those are far more rare and command more than $400 but that is cheap if the saw works anyway. If the motor just has two belts going to the wheel pulley straight above it then it is a wood saw.

Since I know you are just starting out why don;t you take some pictures and post them here, that will get us started with the basic condition of the saw.

I have had a few of them over the years and it is a very solid saw.

I have had a 16.5 hour days with three hearings, meeting some clients and driving 520 miles so I am kinda beat, I will add some more tomorrow. You may want to search 28-350 here as there has been a lot said about those saws.

Later

jared herbert
11-23-2016, 9:22 AM
In my neck of the woods, I would jump all over a deal like that as long as all of the parts are there. tires, bearings etc are just normal maintainance, I have replaced all of that sort of stuff on my smaller 14 in Delta without any problems. If the motor is 3 phase, just replace it, A little work and you will have a fine saw.