PDA

View Full Version : Off topic because I'm asking about a wet saw for tile work???

Sam Murdoch
11-22-2016, 7:30 PM
Any recommendations please?

Looking to buy a 7" or 8" overhead capacity wet saw. I am being asked to be a regular installer for backsplashes. I don't need NOR WANT a 10" pro saw - for the weight or the foot print or the $$$s. I have been using a 7" Kobalt fixed blade that spins through the basin. I love how quiet it is. I immediately dispensed with the laser :rolleyes: and ran a water tube through the front of the blade protector while pumping water from a remote bucket that is set up to catch the water draining from the intended water supply trough. This set up is very clean and keeps me nice and dry.

BUT - with the grossly inadequate miter gauge I pretty much free cut ALL my cuts. Can't use the rip fence very well either. If I will be doing more regular tile work I need a better saw with the ability to control my cross cuts and rips.

Looking at the Lowes KOBALT - the upgrade 7" with the stand and the overhead blade, and the similar one the Rigid from HD, and a new company (to me) called Rubi - their DT180.

Does anyone have anything good or negative to say about these options or in comparison?

Thanks very much.

Sam

Jim Becker
11-22-2016, 7:37 PM
Sam, I have a modest one I bought back in 2003 when I did my kitchen backsplash and have only used it once since...two weeks ago to cut a few tiles for my bathroom renovation. I doubt that a pro would like it for hard core fancy work but for general utility, it's great. It's an MK branded tool with a basin and a water pump with a small tube up to the front of the blade, similar to what you described above.

If you might be interested in something lightly used, contact me privately...I'll likely never use it again at this point.

Sam Murdoch
11-22-2016, 8:12 PM
Thanks Jim - that MK is the one that I have often used from the rental company. Not my favorite for a number of reasons but I will consider your offer.

Chris Padilla
11-22-2016, 8:22 PM
Sam, head over to the utlimate tile setter forum: John Bridge dot com.

Sam Murdoch
11-22-2016, 8:59 PM
Good idea - I bookmarked them earlier today. Worth more of a look now that I am spreading more thinset. :)

Ole Anderson
11-23-2016, 12:15 AM
I had a cheap 7" saw that cut from the bottom, tried different blades and couldn't get a smooth cut. My son is flipping houses (I help) and bought a http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-7-in-Tile-Saw-with-Stand-R4030S/203757434 . Old one went to the curb. I have used it on several project and it works sooo much better. Smooth very fast cut with it's thin blade. No chip out. Used with mostly 12" porcelain tile and some bonded mosaic. I just use the markings on the fence to measure the tile. You would be happy with this saw and the blade that comes with it, I know I am. Frankly I didn't know it had a laser until I read the specs. My son bought it. I cut, he lays.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/23/23efc546-c28d-4f91-b519-40c6c734783a_1000.jpg

Sam Murdoch
11-23-2016, 8:10 AM
Thanks Ole - that's just the kind of real world feedback I was hoping for. People complain about the parts for this one - tightening knobs for example - breaking in their hands. Have you had to baby this one? Does the head stay at the height you set it do you find that you need to rest often?

I do believe that a saw like this will be all I will need - just a matter getting the best value for my $ 300 + .

Rick Moyer
11-23-2016, 10:05 AM
I used that same one Ole referenced above this past January when we had a contractor (his saw, but I did most of the cutting) redo our bathroom and shower. Some of the 16x24 tiles were a little unwieldy on the smaller plastic sliding table of this saw, but most anything smaller was fine. I really liked the saw. I think it would be fine for your use. It will make a mess though. We worked in the garage as it was quite cold outside, put a work basin underneath, and a scrap pc of foam in front of the garage door to contain spray. Otherwise it's a very good saw.

Ole Anderson
11-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Have had no problem with parts breaking. The head stays at the correct height for sawing, but lifts up to do a plunge cut. Ridgid lifetime warranty if you register it. The whole saw and frame lifts out for tub cleaning. Only complaint is that when you open the port to drain the tub it dribbles down the leg. Oh, that didn't sound right... Plenty of videos on the saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJjlElCydo

Rich Riddle
11-24-2016, 7:09 AM
Sam, head over to the utlimate tile setter forum: John Bridge dot com.You offered wonderful advice. They can answer just about any tile or stone question over there.

Sam Murdoch
11-24-2016, 9:33 AM
Sam, head over to the utlimate tile setter forum: John Bridge dot com.

You offered wonderful advice. They can answer just about any tile or stone question over there.

Yes - thanks. I've done that. So far they are encouraging me to buy a 10" DeWalt - but I am resisting :). There must be a good 7" wet saw out there. I'm as adamant as anyone about using the best tools/machinery/devices one can afford when depending on these to make a living but a 10" saw seems excessive. I will only be doing backsplashes - small tiles up to - maybe 8" or 10". I'll keep investigating.

Besides I have never been overly impressed with any DeWalt tool. Always have thought of them as nothing other than starter tools :rolleyes:
Oh boy - now I've started something myself ... :D