PDA

View Full Version : Accession number and CE certiificate?

Don Nguyen
11-22-2016, 12:08 PM
The seller/manufacturer of the laser machine I am looking to purchase has provided me with an accession number and also CE certificate. However, to be on the safe side, I wanted to verify the validity of these numbers. Has anyone done this before? Who should I contact or is there a place online that I can search to determine this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill George
11-22-2016, 12:37 PM
The Accession number is of the Report that was filed with the FDA and its updated very often. The HS number is of the manufacturers classification of what the machine is, and it seems to be used for determining the Duty fee, which in my case I think is 2.4% of the declared value.
If you have the certificate with the CE number you must be in Canada where its needed or a least not USA.
The Exporter should furnish you with a FDA Form 2877 if your US.

Don Nguyen
11-22-2016, 12:59 PM
I am based in the US. I got the CE certificate from them just in case. I didn't know CE was more for importing for Canada.

Currently it seems like there's no simple way of verifying the FDA accession number online.

Bill George
11-22-2016, 2:12 PM
No you need to go back to the Exporter, I had the same question and she emailed me part of the report that showed the current Accession Number of the Report. The FDA Form needs to be completed by them except for the Customs Port of Entry and Port of Entry Number, and Importers name and Address (you). Signed and dated by You at the bottom also. At least this is the way its going for me. So far DHL has been sitting on the shipment since last Thursday. I had the completed forms to them Saturday am. They did not bother to contact me until Friday afternoon 1 hour before they closed :(

Don Nguyen
11-22-2016, 4:44 PM
I already have the accession number and CE certificate from the exporter. I just want to verify that the number and documentation they are providing me are accurate and valid, since it is probably somewhat easy to just make up numbers or forge documents.

Bill George
11-22-2016, 4:57 PM
When it gets to Customs they will know, each Report is different and assigned a unique number.
Right now thanks to DHL being so slow, its still in Cincinnati now waiting for clearance.

How is your coming? If not by DHL you might need a broker to do the paperwork and customs clearance routing.

Don Nguyen
11-22-2016, 5:03 PM
Yes, when it gets to customs, they will know if it is valid or not, but I am trying to figure that out beforehand as to avoid any potential issues that can cost me time or money later on.

How is your experience with DHL over all? I've read/heard that DHL has their own in house broker, and aside from customs duties/fees, you do not need to pay any additional costs other than the DHL shipping original quoted cost? I am fairly certain that's how my machine will be shipped.

Bill George
11-22-2016, 5:32 PM
It came DHL Air from China with a lot of delays in China and now over here and its all DHL. But there is no alternative that I can see.

Kev Williams
11-22-2016, 6:03 PM
I've had DHL bring me lots of stuff from China- the fiber laser, lenses like 3 times, safety glasses, stepper motor, lens tubes, plus various ebay items like neon lights, light bulbs..

The ONLY issue was my fiber getting hung up in Ohio, but that wasn't DHL's doing...

Bill George
11-22-2016, 6:17 PM
Yes the other two times I have used DHL they have been great but this time its not. It set for 2 days in Cincinnati before anyone contacted me. Then she went home 60 minutes later and had a long week end. Finally got an email today and wanted corrections.

John Lifer
11-23-2016, 9:34 AM
Don, Quit worrying about it! :) The manufacturer has to file report for FDA and FDA will verify. Just pay your $35 FDA inspection fee along with the customs duty and any other fees and it will be fine!
Bill, sorry to hear DHL is holding you up still. I finally got shipping sorted out and hopefully on a truck headed my way today. Might see by this time next week. Mine only took 6 days longer than necessary as shipper made mistake in original quote.

Bill George
11-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Not so with DHL, I had to fill out all the paperwork as the Importer. I did send the FDA PDF form back to Ray Fine and she filled out most but I still had to finish and do the signing. After a full week I am still waiting on DHL and its still not cleared Customs yet because of them.

Bill George
11-25-2016, 12:43 PM
What I am learning with DHL and after the fact, A. Is to always get the Name and phone number extension of the person you contact B. Just because you send them a email and attachments they asked for do not assume they actually read the email or open any attachments. C. The DHL lady at Cincinnati Ohio Hub could care less if you ever get your shipment. Her name is Natosha Griffus. D. DHL Express Air is getting paid to act as your Broker with the IRS and Customs. Instead they dump all the responsibility on you the customer / Importer.

The one bright spot is once in a while you will run into a DHL person who is competent and cares. That person was Kathy in the AZ office. She took the time to open the email attachments I had sent two times before and then forward them back to the Cincinnati Ohio Hub where they were sent days ago. In the mean time I get threats from DHL they will return the shipment if those documents sent days ago are not sent!!!

Nancy Laird
11-25-2016, 2:14 PM
DHL pilots were on strike and nothing was moving until November 22, when a federal judge ordered them back to work.

Bill George
11-25-2016, 3:31 PM
DHL pilots were on strike and nothing was moving until November 22, when a federal judge ordered them back to work.

If you take time to read the entire Thread you will find out this had nothing to do with transportation or shipping it has to do with Incompetent people who can not read emails or process attachments, yet somehow manage to hold a job at DHL.

So Shelly in AZ contacted me just now and told me I needed to pay the Duty (yeah) on my shipment and it would clear Monday and be shipped perhaps Tuesday next week. If it was not for her and Kathy both in the same office it would be returned to China Monday.

PS I doubt if it will come air to me anyway its about a 7 hour drive or less from here.

David Somers
11-25-2016, 4:19 PM
Bill,

Just a thought. If the service from DHL has been this bad you might let Blanca know. Although once the item is in DHL's hands she has nothing more to do with the order, I can't imagine she wouldn't concerned about your having to go through all you did. Might lead Ray Fine to either pounding on DHL or finding another shipper. Worth a try at least.

Dave

Bill George
11-25-2016, 4:55 PM
Bill,

Just a thought. If the service from DHL has been this bad you might let Blanca know. Although once the item is in DHL's hands she has nothing more to do with the order, I can't imagine she wouldn't concerned about your having to go through all you did. Might lead Ray Fine to either pounding on DHL or finding another shipper. Worth a try at least.
Dave

She has been really concerned and I forwarded her a couple of emails I received from DHL so she knows the person at the Cincinnati DHL hub was the biggest problem. Ray Fine and Blanca have been wonderful and have done everything right, I send emails and attachments every day and never a problem until dealing with these people.

Bill George
11-30-2016, 10:06 AM
My machine came yesterday I did not get it completely unpacked as it had been a busy day. But very well packed, beautiful box and no damage. It is larger than I thought it would be and I need to get out this morning and finish the unpacking. My duty was paid and it came to $121 USD and the real transit time including the screw ups by DHL came to just under 2 weeks. Ray Fine and Blanca have been wonderful to deal with. Ok out to work.

Kev Williams
11-30-2016, 10:48 AM
I've had packages to Alaska and NY take longer than 2 weeks... ;)

Erik Goetheer
11-30-2016, 10:59 AM
DHL sucks worldwide, also here in The Netherlands where I had nothing but trouble with them in the past. They are not familiair with the word customer-service and I sure hope that I can avoid them whit my upcoming machine purchase.

Jeff Body
11-30-2016, 2:10 PM
I ordered a rotary that was shipped using DHL.

I ordered it at 2:00am Saturday morning and it was delivered Tuesday morning. I was completely amazed.

Bill George
11-30-2016, 2:11 PM
I did some research on other carriers and found UPS is not low priced, in fact some would call it highway robbery when it comes to China at least. Knowing what I posted above will help with dealing with DHL.