PDA

View Full Version : 60" wide conference table

Brad Hill
10-06-2005, 6:27 PM
Greetings,

I've looked high and low for some kind of rectangular conference table with dimensions to the tune of 120" x 60" with absolutely no luck whatsoever. The table is to be used as a work area for several programmers so it needs to be wide enough for two guys to sit across from each other with computers on top and without playing footsies.

The widest I've found is 48" which isn't quite enough. It only needs to be solid enough to keep from wiggling around while being used, the wood doesn't need to be anything fancy or special or even look like wood for all I care - the more cost effective the better. (Sorry, I'm sure that's blasphemy in a woodworking forum). The reason I use the term conference table is because I'd like there to be two legs in the middle, and out of the way so someone could pull a chair up to any point around the table without banging their knee on a table leg.

Can anyone recommend where I might go to find such a beast, and what I should expect to pay? Or if someone here is interested in taking this on, feel free to email me (brad@ilsw.com).

Many thanks,
Brad Hill

Jamie Buxton
10-06-2005, 6:48 PM
Shipping a big table can get expensive. Where are you?

Brad Hill
10-06-2005, 6:56 PM
Southwest Michigan.

Alan Turner
10-06-2005, 8:14 PM
A trestle, a couple of sheets of 25mm BB with KD fasteners, no problem. Functional, strong, unattractive.

Jamie Buxton
10-06-2005, 8:40 PM
Don't try to make one ginormous table top. It'll be too big to build in the shop, too big to transport easily, and too big to get into your room. Instead, modularize the table. Make it with four tables, each of which is 60" wide by 30" deep. If you want, you can add some way to hook them together underneath so that they don't move away from each other during use.

For each table, start with C-shaped metal legs like http://www.gibraltarinc.com/products/TandCBases_4.htm

The C-shape lets people use the table without cracking their knees. Slap any top on the legs and you're done.

Frank Hagan
10-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Greetings,

I've looked high and low for some kind of rectangular conference table with dimensions to the tune of 120" x 60" with absolutely no luck whatsoever. The table is to be used as a work area for several programmers so it needs to be wide enough for two guys to sit across from each other with computers on top and without playing footsies.

Jamie has the right idea. We just purchased 30 x 60 "desk shells" for our Marketing department from a local melamine desk company. You can also get them in 36 x 72. They are basically a desk without the pedestals (file drawers). The advantages of using them is that they are relatively inexpensive, flexible in terms of layout if you want to move them around, light enough that they can be moved easily, and they accept a keyboard tray to help prevent those pesky carpel tunnel worker's compensation suits.

Shipping costs have risen dramatically, so find a local company. Or, find a local HON, Maverick, or other "case goods" dealer and see what they cost to ship from the nearest factory.