PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Chip Collection

Charles P. Wright
11-21-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm working on some cabinets and boring the 35mm holes for the euro cup hinges on my drill press. I've tried a POWERTEC 70169 Mini Gulp Dust Hood from Amazon with a clamp on the back of the drill press table, but it seems to only catch about 1/3 of the chips. I can do a bit better by holding the hose from my dust collector (a 1hp Delta 2 bag unit) closer to the bit; but that leaves 1 hand to hold the hose and the other to bring the bit down, which I don't like that much.

I could just sweep up after each hinge, but I'd prefer to catch more of the chips as they are made. Is there a better way to do collect the chips than that?

Eric Rimel
11-21-2016, 11:32 PM
When I've had a bunch of hinge cups to drill I've set up dust collection similar to yours and also added an air stream to blow the chip toward the dust chute. It's worked for me. Still have to sweep though.

James Gunning
11-21-2016, 11:37 PM
Fabricate something to hold the hose in the right place. Duct tape would work fine for one time use.

Van Huskey
11-21-2016, 11:38 PM
Drillnado? http://www.infinitytools.com/boring-bits-accessories/drilling-presses-accessories/drillnado-drill-press-dust-collection-system-4153

Larry Frank
11-22-2016, 7:02 AM
I use the Flex Form hose which you bend into a shape and it stays. I also will use my shop vac instead of the dust collector because it has much higher suction, static pressure. It will pull the chips to it better.

Sam Puhalovich
11-22-2016, 7:29 AM
I corral the chips ... works great with hole saws and forestner boring bits.
That picture was taken immediately after the bore ... virtually 100% collected.
I had a batch of doors to do and I was struggling with the same situation ... when I noticed the band saw off-cut and tried it.

glenn bradley
11-22-2016, 8:07 AM
I do as Larry does but, Sam's idea is pretty slick.

Bruce Wrenn
11-22-2016, 8:33 AM
I drill hundreds of 1" holes in Toys for Tots car bodies. I rigged up a dc system. It's a 3 X5 down spout adapter, screwed to the fence as close as possible to drill bit. I add a shield on top of fence to help direct air flow into down spout adapter. Hose feeds thru Thien Baffle before going to cyclone which is in corner of shop. Hose is fastened using a 4" sch 20 X 3"sch 40 adapter from Lowes. A short piece of sch 20 pipe connects down spout adapter and hose adapter.

Rod Sheridan
11-22-2016, 9:04 AM

Hi, this is a jig I built that attaches to the drill press fence.

It has only enough clearance for the object being drilled, plus a few millimeters.

It works very well.

I actually built a right and left hand version......................Regards, Rod.

pat warner
11-22-2016, 9:34 AM
You're not holding the work?
It's clamped and crowded so it won't move?
Or you're holding the work?
If the work is secured, your left hand could do the house-cleaning
without risk. The best way to collect swarf is with you at the
the hose, as it's created.

Rich Engelhardt
11-22-2016, 10:37 AM
I corral the chips ... works great with hole saws and forestner boring bits.+1.
That's how I do it also, but, I don't use a jig. I just toss a roll of masking tape down to corral the chips.
That way if the bit hits it it's no biggie.

michael langman
11-22-2016, 11:07 AM
I just drilled a hole in a piece of scrap plywood about 5"x8" . The hole was sized to accept the tapered shop vac hose tube so it would stick out the other side of the plywood a few inches.
I clamped the plywood to the back stop on my drill press table. Then adjusted the back stop right up to the point there the chips exited the hole I was drilling.

Brian Tymchak
11-22-2016, 11:26 AM
I corral the chips ... works great with hole saws and forestner boring bits.
That picture was taken immediately after the bore ... virtually 100% collected.

Nice! that goes on the list of things to do.

Thanks Sam!

Todd Hyman
11-22-2016, 3:50 PM
Nice! that goes on the list of things to do.

Thanks Sam!

That's on my list too!

Lee Schierer
11-22-2016, 6:45 PM
Fabricate something to hold the hose in the right place. Duct tape would work fine for one time use.

We used to use these hose assemblies by Loc-Line in the machine shop where I worked for a number of years. They work well to blow off chips and are infinitely adjustable.348037

Charles P. Wright
11-22-2016, 9:15 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and pictures. I am using a hold down clamp on the workpiece; so do have the free hand. I really like the idea of a roll of tape to corral the chips and will try that for the next door. Otherwise it seems like there are quite a few decent ideas for jigs to hold the hose in place.

The price and reviews set me off of the Drillnado.

Charles P. Wright
11-27-2016, 3:23 PM
The roll of tape is super simple, yet super effective. Just letting it corral the chips while boring the hole makes a big difference, it's even better having the dust collection hose right there with the tape roll. Not having the chips cover a 3' radius makes a big difference in keeping everything neat. Thanks a lot!348411348412

John T Barker
11-28-2016, 2:51 AM
I just finished drilling way too many holes (5400) and have a nice pile of chips at the base of my drill press. I went through the whole process thinking of the best way to have the dust collector I wish I had collect the chips. I kept coming back to drilling holes through my shop made fence and all the chips, if the holes are the right size, could be sucked up in a port like this screwed to the back of the fence.