PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Engraveable Media

Naseem Khan
11-21-2016, 8:45 PM
Evening gents,

Any good recommendations on places we can get fiber engraveable media? Are there any vendors that carry fiber specific material?

Also it is there a Cermark like product that fiber users can use to get a black mark on natural (silver color) aluminum?

thank you!

Gary Hair
11-21-2016, 11:00 PM
99% of what I mark is either anodized aluminum or stainless steel, and 95% of that is supplied by the customer. What exactly are you looking for?

Naseem Khan
11-22-2016, 6:55 AM
Pretty much same here. I was thinking of rowmark style material or plastic based stuff that is fiber engraveable. I know it's slim pickings for us fiber folk compared to co2 users.

Any ideas on marking black on natural colored aluminum?

Tim Bateson
11-22-2016, 4:35 PM
Any stainless steel is "Fiber Markable", Aluminum is a bit more difficult. if you can get a darkish gray, you are doing good. You can use the Fiber on most any metal. Even all of that Anodized stuff. Either laser through it or bleach it much like you would a CO2. As for CerMark, I prefer it along with my CO2 laser to the Fiber. Yes the mark is much better with the Fiber, but takes 10 x longer to get it.

Kev Williams
11-22-2016, 6:14 PM
When you think about it, you can engrave lots of stuff with a C02, but really, there's not many things that ARE engravable with a fiber.

Polycarb goes jet black with the right settings, but plan on rough edges. Oh, and plan on whatever's under the polycarb you're engraving to engrave too, the beam passes right on thru :)

Plexiglass will go near white, but it's really finicky as to the settings. Not worth my time.

Granite engraves nice, but that's the only rock I've tried so far.

Tim Bateson
11-24-2016, 1:24 PM
Sounds like you are looking for "Products"? I don't use my Fiber that way. It's a "tool" to provide a "Service". I Mark and/or Engrave anything from Yetis (mostly use Cermark/CO2 for these), to AR-15 Receivers, to Medical devices, to parts for the Space-X.program. The Fiber allows me to except work the CO2 just can't do. If you are wanting to use a Fiber for Product sales, good luck. I'm sure you will find enough products, such as Flasks & Yetis, but in the case of Product sales, you may be better off with a CO2.