PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find bits to achieve this profile on drawers etc?

Stuart Welsh
11-21-2016, 6:05 PM
Excuse the ignorance...I have a piece of furniture I want to take inspiration from and use details for cabinet drawers. I have had difficulty locating bits that look like they would do the job. Where can I find something to get this look and what are they called?

Thanks

Stuart

Jim Becker
11-21-2016, 8:39 PM
That's likely applied moldings that were milled and then attached to the drawer/doors. In fact, if you look closely at the photo, the material grain may support that supposition. I think I've seen a similar profile in one of the various cutter catalogs that shows up in the mail occasionally. It's kinda a variation on an ogee with multiple flutes. If a specific bit isn't directly available, you can get creative with cutters like a multi-bead/multi-flute to get a profile on an angled edge (requires building a jig) with multiple passes and multiple cutters.

Stuart Welsh
11-21-2016, 9:11 PM
Jim,

I agree on the applied moldings, hoping there's a bit used like a small round over you run stock across then rip on the table saw to create a new edge to profile.

Dan Rude
11-21-2016, 11:30 PM
You might try a bit like this http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/24E45/CLC-12SH-1-38LD-1CL-14BD.aspx?gclid=CJGho9fCu9ACFQSRaQodT1UAeQ Just use part of it.
I know there are other multi-profile bits out there too. Dan