PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw Handbook

Sean Troy
11-21-2016, 1:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a good handbook for the Scroll Saw? It's the only tool in my shop I very rarely use and have the itch to learn. I just cleaned, lubed and tuned it up and would like to learn it. A pattern book recommendation would be helpful also. Thanks, Sean

Brad Barnhart
11-21-2016, 10:42 PM
as a scroll sawyer of 24 years, my first suggestion would be to go to your library & see what your options are. Find a book that discuss' the mechanics of the saw, & a book with simple patterns.

What do you have for a saw? And blades? A good supply of different sizes of blades on hand is a good idea.

As far as a book, I'm not able to recommend a particular book. All of my learning has come from reading what books I could get my hands on, & then hands on experience with the saw. Most all saws are set up with the same basic idea. Just start practicing. And ask questions.

Brian W Evans
11-22-2016, 8:27 AM
I have the Scroll Saw Workbook (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1565232070), which has 25 lessons with patterns and all of the information Brad suggested. It doesn't appear to be available through Amazon anymore, but they have used copies listed for about $2. It's the only scroll saw book I've ever read so I can't compare with anything else, but it helped me get started pretty well.

Kurt Kintner
11-22-2016, 8:46 AM
Sean....You might like the Steve Good website (Scrollsaw Workshop)... He has interesting videos
and a lot about scrolling.....

Sean Troy
11-22-2016, 9:56 AM
I will check out all the helpful info given. Thank you all, Sean