PDA

View Full Version : Kraftmaid Cinnamon Stain Match Help

Brad Shipton
11-21-2016, 1:09 PM
I am completing a kitchen project and I need to alter some existing panels since they would not custom build to my dimensions. I had ordered the matching stain with the kitchen package. I completed a test to see how well this would match and I must be missing a step. The stain they sent was Mohawk Cinnamon Wiping stain. I extended a left over piece with some hard maple scrap. The sample was sanded to 120 (should have sanded to 240), and then I applied the stain. I did not apply a finish coat because the red hue seems wrong. I suspect if I spray the stain that will give me a more uniform color, but it still seems off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not much of a finishing wizard like many here.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/Brad805/stain-test-01_zpskdcmytyt.jpg
(http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/Brad805/stain-test-01_zpskdcmytyt.jpg)

Jim Becker
11-21-2016, 2:37 PM
Brad, you absolutely need to put at least one coat of your top coat over the stain to know what the color difference is going to be...it will darken it slightly in most cases. Keep in mind that the original cabinetry has also likely darkened slightly from oxidation and UV. Additionally, hard maple is going to be less friendly with a pigment stain than it will be with a dye stain because the pores are so small and unable to retain much pigment. You may need to adjust accordingly.

Brad Shipton
11-21-2016, 2:46 PM
Thanks Jim. The cabinets are only a month old now. I asked Kraftmaid for a complete finishing schedule. I will do some more tests.

John TenEyck
11-21-2016, 3:58 PM
Sanding to 240 will result in a lighter panel, not darker, so stopping at 120 was a good thing if using a pigment stain on maple. Anyway, I think you have a couple of choices to get the color you want. You could try dying the maple first and then applying the stain, or you could stain it as you have and then spray it with a toner to adjust the color, or you could throw the stain away and strike out on your own with dye + toner.

The picture of the factory panel looks like it never saw stain to me or, if it did, it was over some sealer as it just looks too uniform. To me it looks like it was sprayed with a toner, which is surprisingly easy to do if you are good with a spray gun. Transtint dye in Sealcoat shellac or a waterbased topcoat will get you any color you want.

It will be interesting to see if Kraftmaid tells you their process.

John

Brad Shipton
11-22-2016, 11:23 AM
That is a good suggestion John. I have some tints kicking around so that might be the best idea. I am not convinced the stain they sent is quite how they do it, and I am not setup to try spraying this stain. I have my doubts with Kraftmaid sharing their finish, but I will wait and see.