PDA

View Full Version : Removing Air from Container

Rich Riddle
11-20-2016, 9:20 PM
I recently used Penofin to seal a torrefied door but it didn't require much oil to be used. I need to somehow remove air from the can. In the past I tried Bloxygen without much success. Any suggestions? Apparently, a foodsaver doesn't work.

Bill McNiel
11-20-2016, 9:32 PM
Bloxygen has always worked for me with Waterlox.

Jim Koepke
11-20-2016, 9:40 PM
Marbles, lots of marbles...

jtk

Russ Ellis
11-20-2016, 9:50 PM
Do you have access to argon or carbon dioxide? My understanding is either can be used to displace oxygen and keep finish/paint in good condition.

Jerry Thompson
11-21-2016, 5:53 AM
I have a half of a can of Waterlox that I used canned air on. It is still a liquid and usable. I have used canned air on several finishes such as Rock Hard and tung oil and they have all retained their properties.

Rich Riddle
11-21-2016, 6:23 AM
Does anyone have an idea on where to purchase a container with a small mouth like a bottle of oil has instead of a large mouth like a gallon of paint?

John K Jordan
11-21-2016, 8:17 AM
I recently used Penofin to seal a torrefied door but it didn't require much oil to be used. I need to somehow remove air from the can. In the past I tried Bloxygen without much success. Any suggestions? Apparently, a foodsaver doesn't work.

Rich, I keep a tank of nitrogen in the shop for displacing air. I use it for finishes and occasionally to help preserve things like vanilla beans (I make pure vanilla extract). It really works on finishes as demonstrated by 1/2 used bottles of TrueOil which are otherwise the first to skin over and set up for me.

Some people have said nitrogen won't work since it is nominally lighter than oxygen but my tests show that it works fine. Air is mostly nitrogen and the oxygen doesn't separate easily from the mixture. I direct a tube into a gap between the lid and the can, crack the regulator and flow the gas for a few seconds, then put the lid on.

Bloxygen is nothing but a small amount of pure argon in an extremely expensive package. Note that Bloxygen used to be a mixture of argon, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide:

If buying a tank for the shop you could get the heavier argon instead but nitrogen is a little cheaper. I do have tanks of argon on hand for welding but the nitrogen is more convenient. Any industrial gas supplier can sell you a small tank of gas (no need to lease) and a regulator.

(BTW, either gas is perfect for "dispatching" mice caught in a live trap.)

Somewhere I saw bottles or cans for sale that had air-displacing membranes inside but the details are gone from my brain cells. Works for wine in boxes.

JKJ

John Lanciani
11-21-2016, 8:24 AM
Does anyone have an idea on where to purchase a container with a small mouth like a bottle of oil has instead of a large mouth like a gallon of paint?

I've used the jugs that windshield washer fluid comes in for years. They're free and with just a quick rinse of water they are clean. Much easier to handle and to dispense than paint cans.

william watts
11-21-2016, 3:05 PM
I've used plastic water bottles. Fill the bottle to the very top of the threaded lid and screw on the top. This leaves nearly no surface area exposed to air. If there's only a partial bottle squeeze the bottle till the finish rises to the top. The finish also acts to seal the threads. This tip has appeared here before and works well.

I have also used Bloxgen and it worked as well, but expensive.

Bill

Rich Riddle
11-21-2016, 4:34 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. You are wonderful and helpful people. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Bill McNiel
11-22-2016, 9:05 PM
I've used plastic water bottles. Fill the bottle to the very top of the threaded lid and screw on the top. This leaves nearly no surface area exposed to air. If there's only a partial bottle squeeze the bottle till the finish rises to the top. The finish also acts to seal the threads. This tip has appeared here before and works well.

I have also used Bloxgen and it worked as well, but expensive.

Bill

Definitely an "Ah-ha" moment for me. Can't believe I never thought of using the thin plastic water bottles for Waterlox.

Thanks for the concept Bill.