PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about resawing

Frederick Skelly
11-20-2016, 7:47 PM
Hi guys,

#1. Today I resawed a couple pieces of some sort of Oak log that were about 18" long and 8-10" thick. Had them air drying for a good 2 years or more and they seem dry to the touch. I decided to saw them into 1/2" thick slabs so they will be "box size" (3/8" thick) after I joint/plane them. Do I need to sticker this stuff since it's just been cut from the dry log, or can I just store it like everything else?

#2. I just noticed someone down the street took down a tree and cut it into pieces about the same size as I cut up today (8-10" diameter, 18" long). If I cut a few slabs out of that freshly cut wood, would it be tough on or bad for my bandsaw? I've got a Rikon 14", 1 1/2 hp. Do I need to take the bark off first? (I obviously have to sticker these slabs to let them dry.)

Thank you!
Fred

Geoff Crimmins
11-20-2016, 7:52 PM
Cutting wet wood shouldn't hurt your bandsaw, it's something wood turners do all the time. The sawdust will have a lot of moisture so you'll want to clean if off of and out of your saw when you're done so it doesn't cause rust.

--Geoff

daryl moses
11-20-2016, 8:11 PM
You have the same saw I have and I cut green bowl blanks and cut slabs.
Taking the bark off first isn't mandatory but I always do. there is usually a lot of dirt, rocks etc on the bark that will dull a blade quickly.
And yes, you will need to sticker your slabs and end seal them if the "log" hasn't been end sealed already.

Brian Tymchak
11-20-2016, 9:07 PM
Hi guys,
Do I need to sticker this stuff since it's just been cut from the dry log, or can I just store it like everything else?

Yes, you need to sticker these boards, probably for a week or so. Even though you think the log was dry, the board is still wetter in the interior than at the surface. I would recommend adding weight to the stack as well to counteract twist as the fresh cut surface comes to equilibrium with your shop env.

Frederick Skelly
11-21-2016, 7:38 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice.
Fred

Robert Engel
11-21-2016, 7:44 AM
I think with the right blade you can do it, but IMO you're asking an awful lot of your saw.

I would see if splitting the wood is a possiblity.

Van Huskey
11-21-2016, 1:27 PM
First, as mentioned you can sticker the dry wood to let them equalize before you start to mill them down to size.

Second, the issue with cutting the wet log is having the right blade. You need something with a good bit of set in the teeth and a low teeth per inch. You don't have to remove the bark but be aware the bark often has a lot of grit/dirt/sand trapped in it and can dull a blade quickly.

Frederick Skelly
11-21-2016, 1:46 PM
Robert, Van,
Thank you!

Fred

Ted Phillips
11-21-2016, 2:01 PM
You should expect some movement in the slabs you cut as they equalize and "de-stress". That's a good reason to sticker and weight them as others have recommended.

TedP