PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth's big lathe

John K Jordan
11-20-2016, 7:22 PM
If you've been to David Ellsworth's place in Pennsylvania you may have seen his massive Jim Thompson lathe, I understand one of only four ever made. Jim built it for David in 1985. The thing weighs about 4000 lbs, has an unstoppable 5hp single-phase motor, and will swing 37" with 5' between centers! Yikes. A lathe like this could solve the problem of what to do with that big burl you've been holding on to!

347915 347917 347920 347919

I like how the tailstock and tool rest are moved with geared cranks. David said he actually stands between the ways when hollowing a large bowl or hollow form...they're 18" apart.

He has reluctantly decided to part with the lathe. I'd be tempted to go get it myself if I had the room but I can't afford the certain divorce...

You really need a crane to get the huge blanks on the lathe so he is sending his 2-ton gantry crane with it along with a huge steady rest, a drilling bar, and some other accessories. This thing looks bigger in real life. (If you get a chance, go visit David in Pennsylvania, even if just to look at his pieces and play a game of snooker! He lives in a unique place - those who have been there understand when I say he doesn't need a lawnmower. :))

This is certainly not something a normal human would need, but any interested abnormal or super-normal turners can contact David directly for details, (his email address is on his web site or I have his phone numbers) Think of the bragging rights! I think it would be incredible just to have a touch of woodturning history in the shop.

***Note: This is for general interest only, not an appropriate listing for the classified section (posted here with permission of the SMC management).

JKJ

Olaf Vogel
11-24-2016, 7:15 AM
Hi john

this is a spectacular machine. Do you have any other pics?

John K Jordan
11-24-2016, 8:25 AM
Hi john

this is a spectacular machine. Do you have any other pics?

Just a few:

348108 348109 348110

If interested in the lathe I'm sure David would be glad to provide some more if you ask. BTW, he mentioned the sides are made to be filled with sand for more mass (weights 4000 lbs as is). Somehow I don't think this thing would dance around the shop!

JKJ

Doug Rasmussen
11-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Why do you suppose he's selling it?

John K Jordan
11-24-2016, 2:22 PM
Why do you suppose he's selling it?

He didn't say why, only added "reluctantly". I know others who have sold lathes because of new directions, make space for another tool, not used of a while, medical conditions, moving, buying a bigger lathe... Ellsworth didn't say, maybe just ask him? His email address is on his web site.

JKJ

Olaf Vogel
11-24-2016, 4:38 PM
Just a few:

If interested in the lathe I'm sure David would be glad to provide some more if you ask.

JKJ

Thanks for the pics!
The unfortunately I doubt the could afford it, or find the room in my shop.
However, a lathe made by one of the builders, under the specs of one of the respected turners, is always something to look at and learn from. Thanks for posting.

i have considered building a custom lathe, large scale. But previously more along the lines of the Moulthrope design, no bed. this is a major improvement.

Thanks for posting!