PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a full kerf 7 1/4 saw blade?

keith micinski
11-20-2016, 9:58 AM
I have a Makita LS7014 mitre saw and it used to be my favorite tool I owned until I just ordered a new rigid 7 1/4 cordless mitre saw yesterday and now it will be. I use these little saws for trimming out rooms and they are amazing for being portable lightweight and giving really accurate cuts. My only complaint is that sometimes I get in a hurry and probably try and run to fast of a cut and will get a little bit of blade drift. Especially if the blade isn't as sharp as it should be. I would love to have a full kerf blade for these saws since all I'm cutting with them is trim so power isn't a concern at all. I can't seem to find a full kerf blade so I assume they don't exist but I thought I would check here to make sure.

Jamie Buxton
11-20-2016, 11:41 AM
I searched for one a couple years ago, and didn't find any.

Jeff Bartley
11-20-2016, 11:59 AM
I wound up with one on a used Wormdrive saw that I bought. It would be great to find another, for cutting hardwoods it would nice to have a beefy blade!
I don't even know the make of his used one, I'll probably send it in with the next batch of blades to be sharpened.

Mike Cutler
11-20-2016, 12:12 PM
I have a Makita LS7014 mitre saw and it used to be my favorite tool I owned until I just ordered a new rigid 7 1/4 cordless mitre saw yesterday and now it will be. I use these little saws for trimming out rooms and they are amazing for being portable lightweight and giving really accurate cuts. My only complaint is that sometimes I get in a hurry and probably try and run to fast of a cut and will get a little bit of blade drift. Especially if the blade isn't as sharp as it should be. I would love to have a full kerf blade for these saws since all I'm cutting with them is trim so power isn't a concern at all. I can't seem to find a full kerf blade so I assume they don't exist but I thought I would check here to make sure.

Have you considered call Forrest? They make the WoodWorker I in 3/32" kerf at 190mm and 7 1/4" diameters. I have to imagine that they could stamp out a full kerf for you. It would cost you though.

glenn bradley
11-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Forrest, Ridge, Carbide Processors, any will make custom blades. Like bandsaw blades, circ-saw blades can be made for prices comparable to stock. All my TS blades are made with an 1/8" kerf to work consistently with jigs and so forth. The price is within a few dollars and sometimes actually less than stock.

Martin Wasner
11-20-2016, 3:36 PM
The Forrest blade is okay. Forrest stuff falls off a cliff it seems. As in its super sharp, then it's just not. The middle ground of, "not sharp, but not that dull yet", seems less than other blades. But, that could also be from the obnoxiously low tooth count compared to bigger saws. I too have been hoping to find a full kerf blade for that saw as will. I use it almost solely for cutting medium sized crown flat, and it's aggravating when that thin little blade starts drifting on you.

Jacob Barnhart
11-20-2016, 4:50 PM
I have the Freud Plywood/Melamine blade in my 7.25" miter saw. It's very thick compared to the Diablo and others I tried. It's 60 tooth and has a negative tooth angle as well so it's good for crosscutting on a sliding saw.

Vince Shriver
11-20-2016, 5:07 PM
Have you considered call Forrest? They make the WoodWorker I in 3/32" kerf at 190mm and 7 1/4" diameters. I have to imagine that they could stamp out a full kerf for you. It would cost you though.

I believe Ridge Carbide also makes a 3/32 kerf blade.

Jim Becker
11-20-2016, 8:27 PM
"Full Kerf" is a relative term, but as folks have noted, there are manufacturers that make beefier 7.x" blades

keith micinski
11-20-2016, 9:48 PM
I saw ridge carbide makes a 3/32 but I assumed even though it's beefier then a thin kerf it's not comparable to a full 1/8 thin kerf. I'm going to make some calls if Glen is right and I can a custom one made for only a few dollars more I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

Alan Schwabacher
11-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Carbide.com offers 13 different 7 1/4" blades that they list as standard kerf from various manufacturers (Amana, Everlast, FS Tool, Tenryu). Some of them are definitely wider kerf than 3/32". The Amana 40T, ATB blade has .12" kerf, and several FS Tool blades seemed to be .115" kerf, though an error on their website prevented checking them all.

I have no direct experience with this source.

Curt Harms
11-21-2016, 8:00 AM
I just ordered a new rigid 7 1/4 cordless mitre saw yesterday and now it will be.

I wonder how much a thicker blade affects battery life. Trading shorter battery life for a better cut might be a good tradeoff.

keith micinski
11-21-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm sure it's going to cut down on battery life a little but I have plenty of batteries so I'm not worried about that. I don't like that it will make more dust but I am able to hook up my vacuum if dust is a real problem.