PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying a plane

Wes Harville
11-20-2016, 12:28 AM
I bought this plane years ago and have never been able to identify it. Here is what I know, it has a brass sole, the only markings are in front of the knob which may read "NO?", but I'm not sure and on the chip breaker it says Bailey's Patent and list a date.

Rick Lizek
11-20-2016, 6:57 AM
It's a Franken plane. The original base got broken and he made a new one and used the leftover parts to complete. Might have been a pattern maker with access to a foundry. Good chance its actually bronze not brass.

Wes Harville
11-20-2016, 10:16 AM
It's a Franken plane. The original base got broken and he made a new one and used the leftover parts to complete. Might have been a pattern maker with access to a foundry. Good chance its actually bronze not brass.

I thought the same thing, the only reason I thought it wasn't hand made was due to the numbers cast in front of the knob. I also agree that it is probably bronze.

Jim Koepke
11-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Wes, knowing the dimensions would help.

As Rick pointed out this was probably the work of a person with access to a foundry.

There are a lot of planes made by pattern makers. The original mold was likely made from the body of another plane and that is why there is the NO ? at the toe.

jtk