PDA

View Full Version : Residue on drill bits

kevin nee
11-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Hello, I have been drilling a lot of 5" deep by 7/16" holes. I bought a high quality brad point bit. I have been drilling 2 holes and stopping to let the bit cool. I am getting some brown & black stains on the bit. I would like to clean this bit without causing any damage. Any suggestions? I would like to get this bit sharpened when this project is done. Any suggestions on where to get sharpened.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

David Herring
11-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Hello, I have been drilling a lot of 5" deep by 7/16" holes. I bought a high quality brad point bit. I have been drilling 2 holes and stopping to let the bit cool. I am getting some brown & black stains on the bit. I would like to clean this bit without causing any damage. Any suggestions? I would like to get this bit sharpened when this project is done. Any suggestions on where to get sharpened.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Kevin,

Not sure where to get bits sharpened in your area, but as far as cleaning goes, I've been using Brakleen to clean my bits for years. You can get it at your local auto parts store, it's also really good to clean the grease and oil off of new bits to keep it from staining your wood.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Slow down your rpm, and clear the chips more often. You're burning the wood.

Jerry Miner
11-19-2016, 12:58 PM
I use this stuff. Works well for me:

Bit and Blade cleaner (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/128479/blade-and-bit-cleaner-8-ounce-pump-spray.aspx)

Bill Jobe
11-19-2016, 2:31 PM

And perhaps up the feed a bit?

John K Jordan
11-19-2016, 2:49 PM

Yes, for that size bit I would probably drill no more than 1" at a time, maybe less depending on the type of wood, then back out to clear the chips while letting the bit cool for a few seconds.

JKJ