PDA

View Full Version : 90 degree fixed saw advise

Steven Pearson
11-18-2016, 11:33 PM
Ok, I really do not care if the saw can miter. I want a saw with great, accurate 0s, every time. I really don't plan on moving it out of zero often, if ever. I have another saw for that.

My old miter saw is cheap and the blade drifts off 0 slightly regardless of how tight I lock it down. Plus I can never seem to get it to a true 0. I need cabinet grade 90s every time.

I really do not want an industrial grade saw because of the price right now. It is being used in a light production setting, but I don't think any of the major brand saws would have trouble keeping up for a few years.

So lets say, price point is $200 or less. Preferable a bit less. I assume I can get quite a bit at this price point as even Dewalt has contenders.

Cuts are in normal dimensional lumber, 1x2 - 2x8. The saw will be semi-permanently bench mounted.

Matt Day
11-19-2016, 8:22 AM
At $200 you're choices are pretty limited - low end Ridgid or ryobi.

I'd keep an eye on your local C-list and research the reviews of the models you find.

Sam Layton
11-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Matt said it all... If you want new, $200 or less is not going to get you much. I have two radial arm saws that I only use for 90's, never change the settings. One ras is a 10" Dewalt GWI, probably 1957, the other is a 14" Original Saw (same as Dewalt), I don't know the age. I purchased both saws from Craigs List, and rebuilt them. They are heavy duty, and cut perfect 90's every time. If you watch C's list you can get the Dewalt GWI in your price range, if you are willing to rebuild the saw. I also have an old Makita 10" miter saw that is all cast iron, and is solid. Cheap, and perfect 90's every time don't go together...

Sam

Steven Pearson
11-19-2016, 12:24 PM
I appreciate the advise. This is the saw I was looking at. It will not produce nice 90s and stay zeroed?

Dewalt DW715 $200
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW715-12-Inch-Single-Bevel-Compound/dp/B000ASBCK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479564932&sr=8-2&keywords=wood+chop+saw#Ask

Robert Engel
11-19-2016, 5:18 PM
Yes it will work fine! I have a bevel version of the same saw and its a workhorse.

glenn bradley
11-19-2016, 6:13 PM
I appreciate the advise. This is the saw I was looking at. It will not produce nice 90s and stay zeroed?

Dewalt DW715 $200
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW715-12-Inch-Single-Bevel-Compound/dp/B000ASBCK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479564932&sr=8-2&keywords=wood+chop+saw#Ask

Yes it will work fine! I have a bevel version of the same saw and its a workhorse.

We better more clearly define "90's". The DeWalt is a good chop saw for job site work. If that is what you're after, you're in. If your other saw does good at other than 90 degrees, I'm confused about the requirement. Is it a 90 degree "station" in a production sort of a setup? If so, I totally get that; I have routers that I have bought just to leave setup for certain functions.

Steven Pearson
11-19-2016, 7:16 PM
Yes, that is exactly what it will be used for.

glenn bradley
11-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Yes, that is exactly what it will be used for.

Ah, then the DeWalt can probably be dialed in to meet your needs. A dedicated station has advantages in that we can do things that we would not do to a tool that will be used other ways. I have had the 10" version of the saw you link to for over 10 years. It only gets used now and again but, it has never let me down when using it for trimming out rooms and such. If I were setting up for a dedicated work station I would be tempted to run a full kerf blade on the machine to increase the reliability of the cut path.

Steven Pearson
11-20-2016, 12:06 AM
Any particular blade for smooth long lasting performance in pine? I see no reason not not use a full kerf blade btw.

Jim Breen (NY)
11-21-2016, 10:20 AM
If you're not adverse to refurb/reconditioned, TylerTool sells the DW715, with a blade, reconditioned, for $220 with free shipping ($20 more than the Amazon offer which is without a DW blade).

I've had my 715, also reconditioned, for over 10 years with no issues regarding the reliability or accuracy and I throw it in a my truck a few times a year. In fact, except for the "R" melted into the tool case, I could find no visual evidence of it being reconditioned. In my thought process, it had a second quality inspection since it was returned for resale.

I use Freud blades on it, but I mostly cut white oak and cherry. 72 or 96 tooth - both work well.