PDA

View Full Version : Router won't run

steve tomaselli
11-18-2016, 9:54 PM
I have a dewalt dw 625 type 2 router that is about 15 or 20 years old. Was using it in my shop last week and turned it off and then went to turn it on again and nothing. Turned the variable speed dial a few times and played with the on off switch a few times and it started. Today the same thing happened and it doesn't want to start at all.I took the top off blew out all the wood dust and checked the brushes which looked ok cleaned out the variable speed pc board on top of the router checked the wiring to the switch checked all the wiring for bad connections and the cord seems ok as far as i can see without testing it.I'm stumped . A few times i played with the on off switch and it made a small buzz sound like it wanted to start but nothing.If anybody has had a similar problem it would be appreciated if you might be able to help me .Thankyou for listening.

Jim Dwight
11-19-2016, 7:20 AM
When my variable speed PC 690 did something similar, I suspected the variable speed board and took it off. It is now my second single speed PC690. I have a variable speed controller I can use for the rare times I want to slow it down.

Jamie Buxton
11-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Sounds like dust inside the power switch. My DW router has that malady too. I fix it by fiddling with the switch until the thing turns on. But the real fix is to replace the switch.

John Ellison
11-22-2016, 8:11 PM
I have PC variable speed that requires the switch to be on for several seconds before it spins up after a few days of no use. Once it starts, each subsequent start gets faster until after a few it is instant. Variable speed works after it spins up. I took it apart (twice) blew everything out and used a meter to check for power and could find no failures. I am living with it as it is...