PDA

View Full Version : FeatherPro Feather Board

George Bokros
11-18-2016, 6:08 PM
Does any one have one or more of these? What are your thoughts opinions of them?

I bought one at the Hartville Hardware tool sale today but am not sure if I will keep it. I think it is an improvement on the usual feather board even thought it is a bit pricey at close to $30, I got it for $24 at the sale.

Thanks

Jim Andrew
11-18-2016, 6:58 PM
When I was using a router table to make doors I made my own feather boards from ash. Ash seems to be a very good wood for feather boards, as they hold up well.

Charles Lent
11-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Are you looking for FeatherBow or FeatherPro?

I have a couple of FeatherBow light green plastic feather boards that I bought some years back at a woodworking show.
They work OK, but I'm not convinced that there is anything all special about how they work. One side is a normal feather board and the other side is a curved bow shape.

Charley

Dan Rude
11-23-2016, 12:54 AM
No, I think he is talking about this one: http://www.featherpro.com/products/featherpro I admit I am intrigued by it. Dan

Charles Lent
11-23-2016, 7:36 AM
Interesting.....The FeatherBow products are/were also created by two brothers, although both had whiter hair. Here is a video of the featherboard that I have. They even used the same color plastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZhYxAlpeg

Charley

Stan Calow
11-23-2016, 10:20 AM
I think there's a review of the FeatherPro in this month's Wood Mag.

George Bokros
11-23-2016, 10:31 AM
You are correct Stan. I saw it.

Dave Haughs
11-23-2016, 10:35 AM
I have one. My neighbor gave it to me. I think he's connected/related to one of the guys that invented it or something.... I like it. I'll be honest, I don't use a feather board very often anyway but it is easy to get decent tension on the board with it compared to my plastic feather board. I can't really say much more, I do like it but don't have a solid base to compare it to any others since I'm not a big user of feather boards.

andrew whicker
11-23-2016, 11:26 AM
These look pretty cool. I have a 1993 Uni saw and from what I was able to tell by looking at the motor / blade mount I won't be able to attach a riving knife. I was looking for a different way to prevent kickback.

If kickback is caused by the measured piece of lumber kinking, I'm assuming there is still a chance of kickback with featherboard, no?

Cheers,

Jason Lester
11-23-2016, 1:19 PM
Once the stock passes the featherboard, it could still kickback. That's the most likely time in my experience, right at the end of the cut.