PDA

View Full Version : Best book lathe/turning?

Jerry Olexa
11-18-2016, 9:57 AM
I have recently gotten it got into turning primarily because I need to make some new chisel handles. I missed out on the delta lathe deal on Amazon a few weeks ago but I'm getting ready to make the plunge. I need a book to explain some of these complicated 2 me issues such as this size of the Chuck Etc I know I'm going to have to invest extra money for the proper tools and accessories. What is best book out there that I should get that would enlighten me into these Uncharted Waters of turning . thank you very much

Sean Troy
11-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Your best bet is the go to http://www.woodturner.org/?page=Chapters and find the closest chapter to you and join up. It is much easier to be taught the correct way with hands on than correct mistakes learned the wrong way.

Mike Henderson
11-18-2016, 10:52 AM
There's a Turner's sub forum here on SawMill Creek. Go there and post your question. There might even be someone close to you who will give you a couple of personal lessons. I agree that getting "hands on" instruction is better than trying to learn from a book.

Knowing how to turn basic things is a good skill to have. Even if you only do furniture, there are times when you need to turn something for the shop, or the table you're building has round legs.

Mike

Reed Gray
11-18-2016, 11:16 AM
All clubs also have libraries. Huge in learning, and you can get hands on learning as well.

robo hippy

Don Jarvie
11-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Go to your local library at check out a few books. You can google Woodturning PDFs read a bunch of articles also.

cody michael
11-18-2016, 12:02 PM
To the above advice about finding someone to coach you I always thought it was kinda silly, then I tried it and found a woodworking club with a turner and he helped me a lot in an afternoon, made turner way more enjoyable, I wish I would have did it years ago.

Richard Dooling
11-18-2016, 1:17 PM
Start out with tool handles end up with a yard full of logs. The vortex awaits.

There are many good starter books. Here's some I like:

Richard Raffin has a good introductory book, Turning Wood with Richard Raffin. Another is Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning, also by Raffin. If you want to get deeper into various ways of holding the wood, I like Doc Green's Fixtures and Chucks for Woodturning. You'll probably get some good responses if you post a WTB Turning Books in the classified section.

There's a ton of free videos on the web but beware - no one edits out the foolhardy. There's lots of misinformation and unsafe practices presented as normal ways of doing business.

In addition to woodturning clubs, some larger retailers like Woodcraft offer classes (some are just one day) and free demos. They may offer discounts on tools and supplies on the day of your class.

Frederick Skelly
11-18-2016, 5:08 PM
Hi Jerry.
Im only 2 steps ahead of you in turning. I have found 2 books very helpful:
1. The Lathe Book by Ernie Conover. Gives a good overview of the lathe itself, the tools, the accessories and a little bit of how to.

2. Woodturning, A Foundational Course, by Keith Rowley. Detailed tutorial. Comes with a DVD.

The is a third that John Jordan also suggested that I havent ordered yet - and I accidentally deleted that PM! If we're lucky, he'll chime in here.

Fred

John K Jordan
11-18-2016, 6:36 PM
...The is a third that John Jordan also suggested that I havent ordered yet - and I accidentally deleted that PM! If we're lucky, he'll chime in here.
Fred

Besides Raffan's and Rowley's, I really like Mike Darlow's "Fundamentals of Woodturning". It is a little more technical and the diagrams and things might put some off, but his close up pictures of tools in action are the best I've seen and his methods of explaining things are exceptional. Also, following his recommended practice will make you an expert in using the skew in short order. I like to re-read this book occasionally, in the middle of going through it again now. I know that different people learn differently, but I learned woodturning from Darlow's and Raffan's books - I keep an extra copy of both books to loan to beginners.

https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Woodturning-Darlows-Mike-Darlow/dp/1565233557
https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Wood-Richard-Raffan/dp/156158956X

Beyond the basics, both of these authors and others have books that are more specialized but just as worth having, covering things like design principals, turning boxes, bowls, chess pieces, toys, and small projects, and some with lots of specialized and advanced techniques. I like to watch turning videos but an author can put FAR more information in a book than a turner can fit into a video. Studying these books will teach more of the "why" as well as the "how" plus more alternate ways to do things than shown in a typical video.

I also like Doc Green's book and others, for example a great book on harvesting urban timbers, one on turning green wood, plus a number of good books on wood species for turning. (I'm a card-carrying, certified book fanatic)

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
11-18-2016, 7:02 PM
Thanks again John!

Brodie Brickey
11-18-2016, 9:07 PM
Check out Tim Yoder on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/woodturningwithtim1

He used to be on PBS or cable (may still be). His videos are well shot, they explain things clearly and he has an engaging personality. You also get to see different projects for different levels.

Stan Calow
11-18-2016, 9:19 PM
I relied on mostly on books for learning about turning too. I've got about a dozen including all those mentioned, none of which I think is good enough as a a single comprehensive guide. I like the Rowley book best; parts of Connover and Raffan are good. As was said, the more specific books "turning bowls" for example, help flesh things out.

John, what is a good book on woods for turning? I haven't found one.

Jerry Olexa
11-18-2016, 9:39 PM
GUYS, an immense thank you..Many good recos here..just got back from a trip..Will be ordering some of these books in the morning..
Again, the value of SMC shown here..very valuable advice..sincere thanks!!!!

Steve Arnold
11-19-2016, 12:17 AM
I've found this book to be very helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1940611091/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gary Baler
11-19-2016, 6:50 AM
Save your time and headaches. Find a club or a mentor to help you get over the initial humps. Even if you have to pay for lessons it will save you tons of money and an unbelievable amount of time.

John K Jordan
11-19-2016, 6:56 AM
... John, what is a good book on woods for turning? I haven't found one.

Stan, I'll check the titles/authors when I get into to the shop, hopefully later today. (I just reorganized all my woodturning books and put them in one place, previously mixed with tree ID, general shop, metalworking, etc.) I use several books to look up properties of wood. Some are general wood info books not specifically targeted to woodturners but still useful. There are some not so useful and one in particular I specifically do NOT like! (I have a book-buying addiction) I've been meaning to make a list and write a note on each book. Someday...

Maybe I'll start a new "books about wood for turning" thread here so others can find it easily, comment, and add their favorites.

JKJ

Michael Mills
11-19-2016, 1:35 PM
Good responses to books and sources. In regards to your more specific question of what size chuck, IMHO it depends on what size lathe you have. I am familiar with the Nova line; for 12" or under lathes the G3, for 12" - 16" the SN2, for over 16" the Titan. Most brands make several sizes for different lathes.
Some topics I have never seen addressed in books and videos and this is one of them.

Ed Wood
11-21-2016, 6:49 PM
My favorite basic wood turning book is The Frugal Woodturner by Ernie Conover.
Basic stuff easy to read and understand.
Link to amazon description
https://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Woodturner-Modify-Tools-Equipment/dp/1565234340/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8#reader_1565234340

Sam Fleisher
12-31-2017, 2:42 PM
***Raising the dead here***

I ordered the raffan book and the foundation course from my usual place, Better world books. Usually they aren't too bad speed wise even with media mail. Anyway, I just checked the status and apparently I didn't notice that those two books aren't even in the states so who knows when I'll get a package from Dunfermline, UK.

Whats the recommendation for a beginner book that would teach about the basics like tool rest height and the different types of cuts with the different tools? (Hopefully I'll pay more attention and only get one that is in the states.

Thanks

John K Jordan
12-31-2017, 3:03 PM
I ordered the raffan book and the foundation course from my usual place, Better world books. Usually they aren't too bad speed wise even with media mail. Anyway, I just checked the status and apparently I didn't notice that those two books aren't even in the states so who knows when I'll get a package from Dunfermline, UK.
Whats the recommendation for a beginner book that would teach about the basics like tool rest height and the different types of cuts with the different tools? (Hopefully I'll pay more attention and only get one that is in the states.

Yikes. I don't remember if you said where you live but if near Knoxville stop by and borrow some books. (and get some lathe help) I keep spares of some of my favorite books to loan. But I've had things come from the UK quickly.

Could these books be in a local library? Also, Woodcraft stores sometimes carry them.

JKJ

Sam Fleisher
12-31-2017, 4:35 PM
I do live near Knoxville! Unfortunately it's Knoxville IL.

Two clubs around. One in the quad cities which is 80 miles away and the other is in Peoria one month then Bloomington the next. 35 miles to Peoria and then 70 to Bloomington.

I guess there is a reason this area was called Forgottonia. The only turner I found somewhat close built a new shop last year and still has his lathe in storage.

John K Jordan
12-31-2017, 4:50 PM
I do live near Knoxville! Unfortunately it's Knoxville IL.
Two clubs around. One in the quad cities which is 80 miles away and the other is in Peoria one month then Bloomington the next. 35 miles to Peoria and then 70 to Bloomington.
I guess there is a reason this area was called Forgottonia. The only turner I found somewhat close built a new shop last year and still has his lathe in storage.

That's funny! My mailing address is Clinton, TN but I used to live in Clinton, Iowa (up the river from the quad cities nuclear power plant where I did radiography work in the '70s). I had no idea there were two places with a Clinton and a Knoxville within driving distances of each other!

Driving to a club occasionally might be worth it. Every month I drive about 35 miles to the Knoxville club and also 70 miles to the Crossville club a week later. Both are worth the trip.

JKJ

Sam Fleisher
12-31-2017, 7:49 PM
I haven't getting the desire to drive anywhere lately. High might have been 5 today says 1 for tomorrow and our big heat wave is next sunday with 31! Time to get out the sunblock.

Back to the clintons, I think they were going to shut down the Cordova and the Clinton IL plant. But I don't know if they got it done or not.

Michael Mills
01-01-2018, 9:02 AM
***Raising the dead here***
Thanks
Good books have already been listed but I would also suggest the "fundamentals" videos by Stuart Batty on Vimeo.
There are about 30 (5 to 15 minutes each) and cover basics not covered in such clear detail elsewhere IMHO.
They will not cover everything you ask about but they will also cover topics you may have not known to ask about.
They do not show how to turn anything (pens, bowls, boxes, etc) but instead try to show how to turn everything.
https://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos/sort:alphabetical/format:thumbnail

roger wiegand
01-01-2018, 1:58 PM
Reiterating, Join the American Association of Woodturners. Tons of good videos on their web site, most chapters have lending libraries with all of the aforementioned books and videos that you can borrow. Our chapter does a teaching session before every meeting for new turners, in addition to the demos that are a part of every meeting. We have a mentoring program where new turners can partner with an experienced member for hands on time one-on-one in either person's shop. Lots of inspiration from their magazine. Less than the price of a good bowl gouge.