PDA

View Full Version : More on my plane making

James Pallas
11-18-2016, 9:21 AM
These are finished except for final tuning. They both work pretty well. Now to decide how to prep the soles and blade camber and the like. Suggestions welcomed. Lessons learned so far, hickory is a tough choice for plane making, Krenov style blades are short for this application, floats would help the process.
Jim

Howard Pollack
11-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Not exactly a response to this post, you might enjoy making a real Japanese plane. I've bought old beat up ones from the auction site and used the very good quality blades to make new planes. I've used purpleheart for the bodies and it has served very well, although it is a nasty splintery wood to work.
-Howard

Steve Voigt
11-19-2016, 8:17 PM
Nice work on the mortise chopping, Jim. You just need some longer irons!

James Pallas
11-20-2016, 7:31 AM
Nice work on the mortise chopping, Jim. You just need some longer irons!
Thank you Steve. Coming from yourself that is indeed a nice compliment. The planes work well the user needs some practice. I'm going to use them as they are for a while and get a feel for pulling a plane. I think I have the weir a bit high on the 40* plane so I'll lower that a bit. The 50* plane leaves a nice finish. If they make work easier for me I'll maybe try more, if not it was a fun project. No more hickory in the future.
Jim