PDA

View Full Version : Aaannd finished!

Brent Cutshall
11-17-2016, 1:45 PM
Finally finished restoring the drill from the other thread. I think it looks quite good compared to before.
I've restored many tools before but none quite this thorough. Plus, now y'all get to see what it looks like. I still can't get the "New York, Germany" part on the handle. But I really don't care who made it, it drills quietly and quickly and looks good while it does it. Now I don't know if I'm regretting not getting the
MF No.2 he had there.

These are before and after pictures, I ain't saying which ones are which.

Jim Koepke
11-17-2016, 2:17 PM
Looks like a great user.

I like my Millers Falls #2, especially for the bigger chuck capacity.

You will likely have a chance to buy another.

jtk

James Pallas
11-17-2016, 7:45 PM
Nice job Brent. My egg beater and my Yankee push drill do more work than other drills. Wish I had a nice one like that.
Jim

Brent Cutshall
11-17-2016, 7:57 PM
Thanks guys! I was going to address James as Jim but then I realized that there was another Jim in this story(Hi Jim!). James, you should try restoring one of your drill up nice if you haven't already. This one only took two cans of enamel, from Lowes, some sandpaper, and some stain. Give it a try! Thanks again.

Patrick Chase
11-17-2016, 8:00 PM
Looks like a great user.

I like my Millers Falls #2, especially for the bigger chuck capacity.

The MF #2 is a really nice double-pinion design. The concern I have with single-pinion drills like the one in this thread is that they put a lot of stress on the drive wheel axle when the handle is opposite the pinion, and suffer from some excess friction as a result. I have one that I use for light work though.

James Pallas
11-17-2016, 8:53 PM
Thanks guys! I was going to address James as Jim but then I realized that there was another Jim in this story(Hi Jim!). James, you should try restoring one of your drill up nice if you haven't already. This one only took two cans of enamel, from Lowes, some sandpaper, and some stain. Give it a try! Thanks again.
Had to laugh. Mine looks ok it is just that it's a Handyman. Works okay just kind of cheaply made. I have another big breast drill, can't remember the brand, it's in good shape but to big for small bench work.
Jim

Ray Selinger
11-17-2016, 11:29 PM
I have one like that. The stamp says SPEEDY and GERMANY with a hexagon shaped face between them. It came with a patternmaker's tool chest I purchased.

steven c newman
11-18-2016, 5:17 PM
Just a pile of drills. M-F No. 120 breast drill, there is a M-F No. 2-01, a Granit Tool Co. and a Mystery No.5 sitting in front..
Mostly they just hang around...

Stew Denton
11-18-2016, 9:18 PM
Brent,

Nicely done!

Stew