PDA

View Full Version : Finally had to admit that my eyes aren't what they used to be!!!

Wes Harville
11-16-2016, 11:18 PM
I am currently working on a media cabinet that has a lot of hand cut dovetails. I have never worn glasses and at one time had 20/10 vision, however, I noticed that I could see my knife line, but couldn't see the exact edge of my chisel. I had to break down and buy a light at Harbor Freight. It was difficult for me to admit, but man this thing is worth its weight in gold!!

Van Huskey
11-16-2016, 11:26 PM
The near inescapable presbyopia.

Ben Rivel
11-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Shedding a little light one the task at hand never hurt anyone. Dont feel bad. I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other and I still need really good lighting to see most things I work on.

fred woltersdorf
11-17-2016, 5:59 AM
Do you have a sku # for that light? I can't find it on the HF website.

richard b miller
11-17-2016, 6:56 AM
i would also like to know sku # for the light. just went to HF site and didn't find it.
thanks
ps- i hate this getting older!

Marc Burt
11-17-2016, 8:30 AM
I've been noticing the same thing on this latest project. I'm okay when I can get the lighting right but I used to have no problem seeing layout lines even when they were in the shadows.

Frankie Hunt
11-17-2016, 8:56 AM
I think the SKU is : 60643 Found via google search and not a Harbor Freight search!

Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html

Daniel Smith
11-17-2016, 9:02 AM
A couple months ago I finally broke down and bought a pair of reading glasses, so I hear you. A couple of years ago, the tool list for a class I was taking listed a magnifying visor as a "might be nice to have" item. I got one and it has become one of the most used pieces of equipment in my shop.

Wes Harville
11-17-2016, 10:12 AM
I think the SKU is : 60643 Found via google search and not a Harbor Freight search!

Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html

Thats it!!! In my store it was $32.99 and I used the 20% coupon so it came in under $30.00 in my mind, that is a heck of a deal!!!

Rick Fisher
11-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Beautiful workmanship on the tails and pins.. nice..

Bill Conerly
11-17-2016, 9:36 PM
My sad moment came when I told my wife that I had worn the size marking off a drill bit. She (an eye surgeon) smiled and offered me her reading glasses. Very clearly I saw "1/8" and have
been wearing readers ever since.

Bill McNiel
11-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Typically the need for Reading Glasses occurs in the early to mid forties.

John TenEyck
11-17-2016, 10:38 PM
The only good thing about now needing to wear cheaters to see up close is that I always have my safety glasses on when wood working. I'm almost looking forward to cataract surgery someday so I can get a lens implant to eliminate the need for reading glasses.

John

Keith Hankins
11-18-2016, 2:52 PM
Yep you cannot beat father time. If it makes you feel better, your eyes are at their best at birth. It's a slow (and i mean slow) degredation from there for most. Another little tidbit. The closer to the equater you live, the worse they are.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2016, 3:18 PM
When I was elk hunting, I was one of the two youngest hunters in camp. In my mid-30s, one of the older guys asked me to repair his glasses for him. He had a kit with the necessary screws and screwdrivers but couldn't see to replace the one that had fallen out. I repaired it for him while he lamented "When you hit age 40, everything changes!" Well, I hit 40 was doing okay....hit 45 everything still okay....then about the time I hit 50, I had my head stuck in behind an x-ray room chest stand trying to adjust the ion chamber bias when suddenly my eyes wouldn't focus on that little slot in the adjustment screw on the potentiometer. Glasses came shortly there after.

Arthur Fleming
11-18-2016, 8:44 PM
I can remember not understanding the old timer's joke about his arms not being long enough to read the newspaper anymore. Sadly, now I understand (and live) it. Artie

Steve Demuth
11-19-2016, 8:56 AM
My parents discovered I needed corrective lenses (for astigmatism not presbyopia) when I couldn't reliably walk through a doorway without colliding with the jambs shorty after I learned to walk. I've worn glasses every day of the succeeding 6 decades from the moment I rise to when I finally turn out the lights.

Graham Wintersgill
11-19-2016, 5:45 PM
I have worn glasses since I was 5 and my mother makes the comment the she mentioned to the optician that the boys were very good at wearing their glasses and he replied 'of course they will, they are blind without them'

Now moved on to varifocals which has other Parallax issues.

Regards

Steve Peterson
11-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Typically the need for Reading Glasses occurs in the early to mid forties.

I think my eyes started going downhill around age 40, but not bad enough to need glasses until around age 50. Things are OK up close. I need glasses to be able to see things in the distance. And I need a lot more light to see details.

Steve

Warren Lake
11-20-2016, 12:14 AM
as a yute I remember my mom saying after 40 stuff starts to change. I heard it and didnt think too much of it, hell she was almost 50. At 45 at a neighbours reading the paper she said why dont you just drop it on the floor, i said what do you mean, she said here put these on and handed me some Drew Carey glasses. Holly crap things were big and clear. For a bit I wore 2x then they became too strong so dropped to 1.5 for close up and it worked well. Its a bother having to remember to have them with you and so dollar store ones about 50 pair are everywhere, should have bought stock in them. Sure they are not the best quality but they work and on their own my eyes dropped back to 1.5 from 2.

In the past ive done painting cutting edges and stuff where the hand is three feet out and even the reading glasses dont work well for that, I need some kind of small binoculars that let me focus out further. Havent figured that one out yet, I wear a rechargeble headlight at times now if lighting isnt great. table saw still is a bit confusing. not into glasses that change depth of field, friend convinced me to try byfocals and I put them on did some looking and thought these are dangerous, week later he nearly cut his finger off the glasses he kept boasting about were changing his depth of field. No idea why he thought those were good and changed his tune pretty quickly.

ever notice on lots of labels food stuff in particular the printing is so small that even with 1.5 you dont have a chance to read the label.

Dan Rude
11-20-2016, 12:52 AM
That sounds like me too. Except now I just buy Progressive safety glasses. They are cheaper than the nice ones. I do not have to remember to change them out, when I go down to my shop in progress. In fact just priced them today. I get a pair a year with my insurance. I come out a head on the progressive lenses, with the insurance cost for the family. Dan