PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE! Rabbit Laser RL-80-1290

Ryan Garofalo
11-16-2016, 10:40 PM
Good evening Laser Community. I am new to this forum and to owning a Laser table. After doing a lot of research I went with an affordable laser table through my schools budget and got a Rabbit Laser RL-80-1290. Its a good sized machine and it looks great.... When trying to do any type of basic geometric shape or ANY lettering over 1/2" tall, the SCAN job ruins the image and the piece of wood. I can post pictures tomorrow of the weird stuff it is doing.
At first I thought maybe the backlash had to be adjusted... after playing with the settings on backlash I found that it had nothing to do with the X-Axis backlash... but it seems to be something with the left to right (X-Axis) movement. Any Chance this is a software issue I could be having? Thank you!

Ryan

Bert Kemp
11-16-2016, 11:03 PM
We really need more info and pictures. Putting your name and machines in your signature is also helpful. You might have someone close by that can help.
How old is your laser/ Did Ray bring it to you and help you set up and train you?

Bill George
11-17-2016, 9:14 AM
My guess perhaps you purchased direct from China as you can buy Rabbit without going to Ray Scott. My suggestion, and I have said it a 100 times is go though with a small screwdriver (power off) and tighten all the connections. Looking does not count. Simple, but just do it.

By SCAN you mean raster or engraving?

Bert Kemp
11-18-2016, 9:28 AM
So Ryan were still waiting for more info, did you take any pictures yet? Did you contact Ray Scott. Did you get your problem fixed and if so what did you do to fix it?

Ryan Garofalo
12-05-2016, 8:56 PM
Thank you two for the response! I kept trying to check this page every day for a response but I didn't realize I could not access this Forum from my school because it is blocked from the server... I kept thinking the site was down. I will Edit my signature on the site right now and I have contacted Ray Scott... He DID set it up for me and he did respond back with me, but his response was something along the lines of a module or controller being damaged from factory. I have pictures I will attempt to post tonight and show you...

David Somers
12-05-2016, 9:04 PM
Ryan,

Have you contacted Ray Scott and his crew at Rabbit? That would be my first stop if I owned a Rabbit. That is why you paid the extra for that brand.

I am curious though. What happens if you run the shape as a cut with light settings rather than a scan? (I tend to prefer the finer line of a cut when possible, as opposed to raster work)
And what do you mean by it "ruined the shape and the wood?"

Dave

Ryan Garofalo
12-05-2016, 9:04 PM
My guess perhaps you purchased direct from China as you can buy Rabbit without going to Ray Scott. My suggestion, and I have said it a 100 times is go though with a small screwdriver (power off) and tighten all the connections. Looking does not count. Simple, but just do it.

By SCAN you mean raster or engraving?

This will be the first thing I do tomorrow morning. Thank you for the advice. I said the words "Raster" and "Engrave" in front of Ray Scott and he said that I was using the wrong term.... but yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. To be more specific, in fact, I have found a way to rotate the image 86 degrees counter-clockwise and straighten the image out... at least it stops the slant in the lettering. I'm still trying to figure this issue out.

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 9:10 PM
please we need pictures

Ryan Garofalo
12-05-2016, 9:12 PM
You can probably see if you zoom the image, that I rotated the image so that the word, if read from left to right, is running down the Y-Axis. The X-Axis, over a 6" distance that the word traveled, faded from the letter "A" at the end of "Familgia"... 3/8" to the right, by the time it got to the "A" at the beginning of the word.
I found that instead of rotating the image a full 90 degrees, if I ONLY rotate it 86 degrees, I am able to correct most of the problem and straighten out the word. Although, teaching the students why a
one month old machine doesn't work is frustrating for them.

Ryan Garofalo
12-05-2016, 9:14 PM

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 9:14 PM
let me get this straight
1 you bought it from Ray Scott
2. he set it up and trained you on it.
3 I was working ok when he left
4 now he says it was damaged from factory?????????
doesn't make sense.

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 9:20 PM
looking at the pictures and know kids are using it. I might tend to think the table is out of level or maybe the laser tube got whacked. the word being crooked is a result of the rotation not being right.
type the word in corel and import it as a dxf into laser cut it should come in straight. can I get a screen shot of what it looks like in lasercut.
also you might ask the school to lift the block on this sight as it is needed for work

Scott Marquez
12-05-2016, 9:40 PM
You can probably see if you zoom the image, that I rotated the image so that the word, if read from left to right, is running down the Y-Axis. The X-Axis, over a 6" distance that the word traveled, faded from the letter "A" at the end of "Familgia"... 3/8" to the right, by the time it got to the "A" at the beginning of the word.
I found that instead of rotating the image a full 90 degrees, if I ONLY rotate it 86 degrees, I am able to correct most of the problem and straighten out the word. Although, teaching the students why a
one month old machine doesn't work is frustrating for them.
I still don't know what "isn't working properly", is it the grain of the wood that didn't engrave in the lower right picture?
If you are referring to your "word" being on an angle, can you make a box, using the engraving software and engrave it, this will help identify if it is the font.
Scott

Ryan Garofalo
12-05-2016, 9:45 PM
let me get this straight
1 you bought it from Ray Scott
2. he set it up and trained you on it.
3 I was working ok when he left
4 now he says it was damaged from factory?????????
doesn't make sense.

1.Yessir
2. He set the machine up in my school while I was teaching and helping him get the electric and sources he needed - so in short, I did not have time to train on it. Nor did we get to practice or test the machine out due to limited time.
3. It worked on a few (very small) words. Problem is, the reversed italicising does not become obvious or significant until the font is almost an inch tall. Anything smaller becomes hard to tell.
4. When I contacted him, due to confusion between his staff and himself, they didn't get back to me for a while. That is why I posted on here, and he responded and told me it may be a damaged controller and he would call me to fix it. Two weeks later I still have no fix and have not gotten anywhere with the machine yet.

In response to your other post.... The students are not allowed to use the machine yet. I also checked level, and if the laser itself was alighned properly. Everything checked out great. Mr. Scott set it up well. I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow of what the machine does with the work I am not compensating the problem with... this might help to show the issue I am having better. The problem is only in relation to the X-Axis movement. Over a inch interval it moves about 3/8" to the right as it moves down the Y-Axis (closer to you as the user). I will do what you said with importing the file and post it for you tomorrow. It appears straight in the computer and on the LCD screen, but engraves wrong.

I'll email my IT guy and ask him to lift the hold on the site. Thanks again for your time and thoughts on the matter. I am happy to have you picking my brain and making me think about it. I've put in an hour or two every night for the last few weeks trying to figure out this whole mess. My adminstration is starting to wonder why a brand new machine is not being used with the kids yet...

Ryan

Bert Kemp
12-05-2016, 10:16 PM
You really need to talk to Ray, Call don't email

Keith Downing
12-05-2016, 11:52 PM
In response to your other post.... The students are not allowed to use the machine yet. I also checked level, and if the laser itself was alighned properly. Everything checked out great. Mr. Scott set it up well. I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow of what the machine does with the work I am not compensating the problem with... this might help to show the issue I am having better. The problem is only in relation to the X-Axis movement. Over a inch interval it moves about 3/8" to the right as it moves down the Y-Axis (closer to you as the user). I will do what you said with importing the file and post it for you tomorrow. It appears straight in the computer and on the LCD screen, but engraves wrong.

Yes, you need to post pictures of what you get (that isn't correct) when you try the usual, correct settings. Nothing in those pictures you posted looks like a laser problem so far.

David Somers
12-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Ryan,

Does the laptop you are using with your laser have internet access there? If yes, I think Ray may have the ability to do a remote control of your machine so he can examine the file and settings as they are in use. I assume your IT folks have blocked that, so you might see if they will open up a bit to permit that for you, at least for a limited time so Ray can utilize those tools. I am afraid I dont remember which Remote Desktop setup he is using.

Dave Sheldrake
12-06-2016, 11:02 PM
what linear speed are you using to engrave?

Have you tried cutting a 50mm square then rotating the part to see if the corners are indeed 90 degrees?

Ryan Garofalo
12-25-2016, 9:26 AM
IN CONCLUSION!!!!! The problem was caused by a bad amplifier and Raymond Scott drove all the way out from Ohio and fixed the machine!! VERY happy with the customer service. Thank you EVERYONE for your responses and help!

Bert Kemp
12-25-2016, 3:15 PM
Awesome Glad to here your up and running and glad to hear Ray took care of it.Good to know Ray stands behind us.:)