PDA

View Full Version : Phone # shows up differently

Bruce Volden
11-16-2016, 7:54 PM
OK,
Back in Oct. (late) I would make a call from my land line phone (all I have) and friends wouldn't answer?? Finally continued re-dialing until I got one to answer. He said my # was coming up as 978-9999 instead of the actual #. Tried this with several other people and they said the same thing with the same 978 #??
Called the local phone provider and was told other customers were having the same trouble (don't know if the # was the same).
They issued a repair ticket and the tech. called me and was at a loss. He called the IT guys and was told something along the line of VERIZON? was having issues---I am in no way connected with Verizon.

So, what's going on? My phone is working, my # not so much.

Bruce

Brian Elfert
11-16-2016, 10:53 PM
It could be that Verizon supplies your land line through a contract with a third party. (Verizon does land lines too, not just cell phones, but they have sold off some land lines.)

I would keep pushing the issue, especially since others are having the same issue. You should ask if your information is showing up properly for 911. If that is broken they will probably fix it quickly because there can be big fines if 911 service isn't working properly. It is generally okay to call 911 and tell them right away it is a test and you want to know what phone number and address are showing up for them.

Roger Feeley
11-17-2016, 4:17 PM
+1 on that 911 test. Maybe try to pick a time when 911 wouldn't be very busy.
Keep us filled on on how it goes. This is interesting.