PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Picasa photo manager

Larry Browning
10-06-2005, 9:32 AM
Everyone,
In the latest issue of PC magazine there is an article about free software. They had a review on a free photo manager called Picasa. The review starts out with the statement "Believe it or not, the most impressive photo manager on the market is completely free." So I downloaded and installed it. So far I have been very impressed. Of course I have never had any experience with any photo managers before, but this one sure looks like it will be very useful in keeping my ever growing collection of photos organized. I was wondering if anyone else uses this program and some of it's other features like the Hello photo sharing/chat, bloging, or the linking to photo printing services?

Larry

David Wilson
10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Larry
I have been using Picasa for quita a long time and am verry happy with it. The price was right. Havn't used the other features.

Bob Winkler
10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I've been using it for several years and through a couple of free updates. I think it works great and have no desire to switch. I don't really use any advanced features so can't comment on those.

Bob

Jim Becker
10-06-2005, 10:55 AM
If I didn't already own other products, I'd likely be using Picasa. Nice application.

Keith Hooks
10-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Picasa is an exellent product, even for a free one. I use it pretty often and like it a lot. I've used the photo linking service with Wal-mart and that worked out pretty well. I also like the "send to email" feature. I use that often. The Hello interface is a really neat feature, but I just can't install another IM package (or convince others to do so). If it were integrated with Yahoo Chat, I'd be all set.

On a side note, Picasa will also display my RAW thumbnails and files, which File Explorer will not do. So when I'm just browsing, I'll load up Picasa instead of Photoshop to view them.

Jim Becker
10-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Multiple IM systems can be accomodated via Trillian, although I have no idea if that helps with Picasa. I'm a Trillian user and wouldn't go back to any of the "native" interfaces that had annoying ads and potential privacy/security issues. (Especially the ads with "noise"...) Right now I use Trillian with AOL AIM, Yahoo Messenger and GoogleTalk, simultaniously and with "one" buddy list.

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Picasa works well and is very simple to use.

So simple that it is good to recommend to "non-computer" people that would struggle with Photoshop or The Gimp (open source program I use).

It is not open source, but is still well written and useful.

HEY! I just noticed that the spell checker in the Internet Explorer version of Google Toolbar now WORKS IN SAWMILL's Message editor! Very cool. Now I can just click a button and check spelling here!

-Andy

Lars Thomas
10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Here's another vote for Picasa. My pictures represent some of the most important data I have on my home machine. Picasa has great back-up routine. I have also used the feature to upload pixs to blogspot, which worked very well.

Larry Browning
10-06-2005, 1:53 PM
Maybe someone can answer this question.
The lions share of our photos are on my wifes computer which does not have a CD burner. My computer has a CD burner. We have a home network in which I have shared the CD burner. However I have not been able to get Picasa to write to the drive from her computer. I mapped the drive on her computer and am able to access it . But, the write button is always grayed out whenever I try to create a disk on this drive. Any ideas?

Also, when creating a gift cd do I need to have a formated writable cd in the drive or will Picasa handle all the formating for me?

Larry

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 1:57 PM
Larry,

I think you will need to run Picassa on your machine to be able to write to a CD-ROM burner on it.

- Andy

Bobby Hicks
10-06-2005, 2:14 PM
Larry,

Probably would be easiest to share the folder on your wife's computer so you can see it from yours. Then burn the CD from your computer.

Peter Stahl
10-07-2005, 5:59 AM
Like Bobby said, I'd save them to a folder, then copy and burn them on your computer. How old is your wifes computer, CD burners are very easy to install and are getting really cheap now that the DVD burners are coming down in price. I've used Picasa but went to a commercial photo program (who's name I can't think of!!!).

Larry Browning
10-07-2005, 7:57 AM
Like Bobby said, I'd save them to a folder, then copy and burn them on your computer. How old is your wifes computer, CD burners are very easy to install and are getting really cheap now that the DVD burners are coming down in price. I've used Picasa but went to a commercial photo program (who's name I can't think of!!!).
Actually she has a Dell notebook that is newer than mine. I think adding a cd burner to hers is out. I was able to have picasa on my computer see the photos on her computer, so that is the way we will go for now.

Larry

Dave Richards
10-07-2005, 9:22 AM
I thought I'd also give a thumbs up to Picasa here. I like it for a lot of reasons including the ability to batch rotate images and the ability to print a series of photos after editing them if desired. I also use if for creating quick and simple web pages that I can then FTP to my web space. Here's an example: Link (http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Ian%20David/New%20Pics%2009_18_05/Ian%20on%20the%20farm/)

I take a minute to edit out the Picasa logo and title at the top which is extremely simple to do.

Peter Stahl
10-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Actually she has a Dell notebook that is newer than mine. I think adding a cd burner to hers is out. I was able to have picasa on my computer see the photos on her computer, so that is the way we will go for now.

Larry

Larry,

Adding a CD burner is more coslty as you have to get the Dell model so it fits. I think my daughters was around $150. Much cheeper to copy pics to your PC.