PDA

View Full Version : Miter Track Sliders

Mike Dowell
11-16-2016, 2:23 PM
I'm making a miter sled for my Table Saw. I built a Crosscut sled, but used the aluminum Incra rails.

Will these work well? https://www.amazon.com/UHMW-Strip-48-Peachtree-Woodworking/product-reviews/B000O2KODM/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

Thanks!

Chris Padilla
11-16-2016, 2:34 PM
Yes but they will wear and become loose over time unlike the Incra rails that you can adjust.

Mike Dowell
11-16-2016, 3:26 PM
Yes but they will wear and become loose over time unlike the Incra rails that you can adjust.

ahhh shucks... Oh well. The aluminum rails are amazing, and I love them, they're just a pain in my.... well.... bottom, to install.

Art Mann
11-16-2016, 10:01 PM
I used those on a sled I made about 10 years ago. I sold the table saw with the sled a couple of weeks ago and the sled worked as good as it ever did. Here is a picture of it. If you click on the image, you can see the rails.

Rich Engelhardt
11-17-2016, 4:32 AM
I threw together a sled about 7 years ago to make a couple of cuts.
I used pine runners and planned on replacing the sled and using hardwood when it got "sloppy".

I bought an aluminum runner to use.......it's till sitting on the shelf and the runners are still nice and tight...

Sam Blasco
11-17-2016, 3:42 PM
I've used the UHMW strips for two bandsaw jigs. I've seen no noticeable wear on them, seems to like cast iron, and work today like they did when I first installed them in the late nineties! Actually, when I got a sliding table saw I took them off my crosscut sled to use on those bandsaw sleds, so they have lived a double life and seen alot of use.:)

Ken Krawford
11-18-2016, 7:37 AM
I made some runners out of hard maple and they work just fine.

glenn bradley
11-18-2016, 8:34 AM
I have used UHMW for rails and they have been in service for about a decade. I used pan head screws in counterbore holes from underneath. I noticed a slight side to side at some point years ago and simply tightened a screw or two compressing the UHMW and "fattening" the width a tiny amount. They haven't required any adjustment since. I will recommend buying a larger blank and cutting your own strips as someone else's product may not exactly fit your slots.

All that being said I have sleds with the Incra rails you mention, QSWO rails, ash rails and UHMW rails. All perform equally well. Wear should be almost non-existent, these are guides not brake-pads. I keep my saw top and sled bottoms waxed and everything slides like buttah.

Mike Dowell
11-18-2016, 3:19 PM
I used those on a sled I made about 10 years ago. I sold the table saw with the sled a couple of weeks ago and the sled worked as good as it ever did. Here is a picture of it. If you click on the image, you can see the rails.

Nice Sled!

Mike Dowell
11-18-2016, 3:19 PM
Guess I'll just grab these and see how they do. They are a fair amount less expensive than the incra's.