PDA

View Full Version : A few pieces from the last month.

Adam Petersen
11-16-2016, 1:22 AM
I had some time to turn and took advantage of it. I recently got a 180 CBN wheel from WoodturningWonders and can't believe how much better I can sharpen on it. My tools were REALLY easy to use after using that. Anyways,

The vase is mulberry and leather lace in the "crack". The ornament is cherry and maple blanks with an ipe bottom and cocobolo top. The last bowl is mulberry bottom with a cottonwood lid. It had a bark inclusion in the lid piece which flew out, but I love imperfections in my work that are caused by nature. I tried my hand at carving a leaf on the top too. After I did it I liked it, but then I looked at the photo the next day and wished I'd have made the bottom of the leaf narrower to look more delicate. It's a little bulky to my eye. I need some more practice carving too. I think I'll give it to my folks since the mulberry is from their acreage. Thanks for looking, and I'm very open to critique. I'm trying to teach myself here! LOL.347637347638347639347640347641347642347643

William C Rogers
11-16-2016, 5:02 AM
I really like the way you incorporated the crack in the vase to make a unique piece. See what you mean about the leaf, however still a very nice piece.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-16-2016, 12:08 PM
I do like your Mulberry bowl Adam, nice shape and finish, as for the finial on the lid, not so much, not bad, but rather bulky, vase is fine with the lace making it the eye catcher, well done work.