PDA

View Full Version : Attic access

John Terefenko
11-15-2016, 3:11 PM
Can I cut an access door in the garage ceiling for access to the attic. Would put in a drop down stair system. Do's and dont's please. Thank you

George Bokros
11-15-2016, 3:27 PM
You need to make sure you put in proper headers where you cut ceiling joists. If you have cut truss chords I would put in collar ties before I cut them

Jerry Bruette
11-15-2016, 6:05 PM
Maybe not if your garage is attached to the house. Building code probably requires an unbroken firebreak in the ceiling.

When I built my cabin the inspector said any opening in the ceiling had to be of the type that couldn't drop because of a fire burning the frame work around the hatch, or the hatch can't be raised up from an explosion in the garage.

Mike Henderson
11-15-2016, 6:24 PM
I had an attic access in my garage when I bought the house (the kind where you push up a piece of drywall). I replaced it with a drop down stairs and it has worked out very well.

Mike

Von Bickley
11-15-2016, 9:23 PM
If you have trusses that are 2 ft. on center, you can get a disappearing stairwell that will fit between the trusses.
If your ceiling joist are 16 in. on center, you will have to cut out a section on one joist and install headers and frame in an opening.
You should be able to handle this job with no problem.

Ole Anderson
11-16-2016, 8:56 AM
I, too, would be concerned that the drop down stair have some type of fire rating. Mine is in the mudroom, within the garage structure/truss system, but not actually in the garage. Different ballgame if you have a detached garage.

Al Launier
11-16-2016, 9:29 AM
In addition to accessing the house attic do you intend to use or store anything in the garage attic? If so, what size, spacing & span are the ceiling joists of the garage?