PDA

View Full Version : Someone with a G0453 check me? Oil leak?

Wade Lippman
11-15-2016, 2:52 PM
First of all, I meant to say G0453, not 4. Not that it matters...

I last changed my gearbox oil 3 years ago. I only use the machine 20 hours a years, so I figured it wasn't necessary.
I called Grizzly to ask their opinion. They agreed it was probably fine, but that I could check it by removing bolt 429 from the top of the gear box and using a dowel as a dipstick. If it was full and the oil was clear, I was good. I asked how far in the dipstick had to be to hit oil when full, but he didn't know. I asked if I could drain/fill it that way, and he said sure; but I had to know when it was full.

I eyeballed it to the bottom of the fill plug as 5". I put the dowel in and hit oil at 5", so I guess I am full. Stuck it in all the way and waved it around; looks like new, so I guess my oil is good.

I wonder if someone with a 453 could check to see if my guess of 5" is correct by trying it? This all came up because I have a very small leak and I was concerned about the level.

Speaking of which...
Anyone have this? This is like 3 years; looking at the machine underneath I would guess that an equal amount has dripped down. Guy at Grizzly said no one had ever complained about a leak before, but figured if it was really minor it didn't matter.

Cary Falk
11-15-2016, 3:16 PM
My G0453Z leaked worse that that. That plastic gasket they use is worthless. I went an got some of that RV silicone gasket stuff in a tube from the auto parts store and threw the plastic gasket in the trash.

Wes Ramsey
11-15-2016, 6:01 PM
You must have been talking to someone new. That's the one bad thing I've heard about this model. Mine has leaked since the day I brought it home about a year ago.

A few weeks ago I topped it off for a long run of rough lumber. For machines with no dipstick I've always just pumped it in from the bottom until it runs out the hole at the top. Is that not how it is done for this planer? You got me worried...

Wade Lippman
11-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Mine leaked very badly when I first got it; but tightening the bolts cured 98% of it, leaving with the photo.

The manual doesn't say HOW it is the filled; but I kinda assumed you take out the drain plug, empty it, put the drain plug back, and then put the oil in through the fill plug until it doesn't go in anymore. Wouldn't you need some sort of special fitting to fill it from the bottom?

I think the easiest way would be to fill from the bolt 29 opening, until it comes out the fill plug.

No takers on verifying my dipstick measurement?

Dimitrios Fradelakis
11-16-2016, 1:03 AM
When I replaced the oil on my Delta DC-380 I used this to pump the new oil in:

http://m.basspro.com/QuicksilverPump-and-Lube/product/12081405323716/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Not this exact same one but very similar. Without it I would of been there for hours using the spout on the gear oil bottle.

keith micinski
11-16-2016, 4:32 AM
Mine has leaked from day one no matter how tight the bolts are. I would have to look again but I could have swore there was a drain plug and halfway up or so a fill plug that I filled till it ran back out.

Wes Ramsey
11-16-2016, 10:01 AM
When I replaced the oil on my Delta DC-380 I used this to pump the new oil in:

http://m.basspro.com/QuicksilverPump-and-Lube/product/12081405323716/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Not this exact same one but very similar. Without it I would of been there for hours using the spout on the gear oil bottle.

Exactly how I did it. I had to turn a bushing since the hole is larger than the one in the lower unit of my outboard motor, but it worked well. I tried filling from the top before and quickly understood why they make a pump to fill from the bottom. Takes too long and is messy!

Jim Andrew
11-16-2016, 8:11 PM
My G0453px started leaking after I changed the gearbox oil. I ordered a new gasket, much better quality than the original, and changed it, pretty easy actually, then refilled it by just putting the tip of the quart bottle into the top hole and squeezing till it was full. I did put blue locktite on the bolts, as when I took the cover off the side of the gearbox, the bolts were just hand tight.

Matt Day
11-16-2016, 9:47 PM
It's the seal. +1 Cary