PDA

View Full Version : dumb question, ai - pdf files

Kev Williams
11-15-2016, 12:23 PM
I can almost always import PDF files into Corel, and if they contain vectored graphics and text, they're 'useable' right out of the box...

But I can almost never import an AI file, always get the 'compressed' error..

says to save without compression, have no clue how-- probably can't because I have no Illustrator program.

Not a huge problem, as I can just let Casmate vectorize a screenshot of the graphic, but I'd just as soon use the original graphic.

Just wondering if there's a file converter or such out in cyberspace somewhere...

Gary Hair
11-15-2016, 12:34 PM
It's the version of AI file and has nothing to do with the compression. Corel isn't smart enough to know exactly what the error is so it throws out the compression error. Have the AI files saved as version 8 and you should have no problem. Or, upgrade to version 8 of Corel and your problems go away!

Ian Stewart-Koster
11-16-2016, 6:53 AM
I typed a reply, and it vanished...
but another alternative is to get them to send you the AI file as a PDF.
If your version of Corel is too much older than the version of Illy that created it, and it gives a corrupted file message,
then dowbnload and install a free PDF creator, eg DOpdf.
The open the PDF they provide in Acrobat reader, and Print it to DOpdf.
That version of the PDF will be more backwards-compatible and should open in Corel.

Brian Leavitt
11-16-2016, 10:25 AM
It's not necessarily the version that's the problem. There is an option to compress files when saving in AI and it can cause problems with Corel. Re-saving the file without compression fixes it if your version of Corel will support the version of AI they are using. Interestingly, though - since I started using Corel X8, I have yet to encounter this error again. I used to have to open customer's artwork in AI, save it without compression, and then import into Corel. This was with versions 9 through X7. With X8, I have yet to encounter an AI file it would not open.

Kev Williams
11-16-2016, 11:55 AM
I use X4 and have zero plans to upgrade. Until around a year ago I never had trouble opening AI files, I would just save them as PDF and they'd open fine in Corel.

Ian--! Thank you for the idea, IT WORKED! I've used CCD PDF converter for years, never thought of trying it to convert an AI file with it! :D

Ian Stewart-Koster
11-17-2016, 3:06 AM
Glad it helped Kev!
That idea (using a free plain PDF printer) has so much potential, once the penny drops that that system works!

Bill Cunningham
11-26-2016, 11:46 AM
I usually just tell the customer to turn off compression, and resend me the file. Illustrator compresses files by default.

Mike Null
11-28-2016, 8:29 AM
Whenever I had the issue I'd ask the customer to save it back. Lately, I've had no issues. But I always request a pdf also so that helps.