PDA

View Full Version : 8" grinder wheel/ tool rest / jig suggestions?

Mike Dowell
11-15-2016, 9:13 AM
Hello all!

I'm going to buy an 8" grinder(after reading through many old threads here) with which to reshape chipped up chisels and such. Is there a suggested wheel? Also, it seems that the Lee Valley Tool Rest http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=32973&cat=1,43072,45938 is the go-to tool rest. What about the Wolverine jig? What do I really *need* in order to accomplish my goal easily?

Thanks!

Rod Sheridan
11-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Hi, if you're sharpening chisels, I would use the Lee Valley belt grinder and an assortment of belts.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43072&p=44884

You have to add your own motor, mine's reversible which is handy for belt direction when using really fine belts.

That's what I use.

For turning gouges I use an 8" low speed grinder with a 120 grit white wheel, freehand...............Regards, Rod.

David Eisenhauer
11-15-2016, 12:23 PM
This is a subject fairly extensively covered in detail in earlier threads that I followed with interest. As I recall, many opted for the Woodcraft Ricon grinder (8" size) due to price and availablity, with one recommendation for a more-expensive Metabo grinder that was still much less costly than the much lauded industrial Baldor. The reviewer claimed that the Metabo showed the least (or none at all) wobble that started at the grinder itself rather than the wheel. As far as wheels go, many, many pre hollow-grind sharpeners have gone to the CBN wheel that practically (within reason) eliminates tool burning. Others claim the Norton "white" wheel can still be used successfully with a minimum of care required by the user. I am not normally one of those "search for it" guys, but do recommend that in this situation so that you can read up on the reasoning and/or hands on experience that others have provided in what can become a somewhat costly purchase, especially when it comes to the actual model numbers, specifications, etc that have escaped me.

Mike Dowell
11-18-2016, 3:14 PM
Thank you both. I went ahead and ordered a no-name 8" grinder and some nice wheels.

Thanks!

Jason Lester
11-18-2016, 9:18 PM
I like the Lee Valley tool rest and jig. I can go from it straight to my honing guide and the angles are identical.