PDA

View Full Version : Is a pencil sharpener a ww machine?

Steve Stube
10-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Is a pencil sharpener a ww machine, sure it is! I think many of us use a pencil from time to time, do most of you have that all important ww shop tool, a pencil sharpener handy in your shop? I could use another one in my 2 story shop so I don't have to run the stairs when I want to dress the point. I'm feeling a little foolish not wanting to spring for a $15.00 Boston pencil sharpener after finding one for nearly $7,000. at that popular auction site on the web. I don't think I can post a direct link to this 1887 original Dixon (wood working tool) still in the box but if you like old iron you might be interested in item #6566055576. My search goes on.

Jason Tuinstra
10-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Steve, we messed around with the cheap ones for too long. I broke my wife's electric one sharpening dowels... oops. Finally sprung for the real deal Boston. It reminds me of being in first grade every time I use it. Of course it's mounted in the shop. The kids hate having to take off their socks to sharpen their pencils, but those are the breaks!

Vaughn McMillan
10-06-2005, 3:11 AM
Man, I wish I had enough money to buy a $7,000 pencil sharpener. I wouldn't buy the sharpener, but I wish I had the money. ;) That's a pretty impressive pencil sharpener nonetheless. I think I'll stick with my 40-50 year old Apsco. It's another schoolhouse-style model very similar to the Dixon, and it sure does come in handy.

Which brings up a woodworking question: How do you prefer to sharpen a carpenter's pencil? Do you use a knife, a sander, or one of the little sharpeners made specifically for rectangular pencils? I've done it all three ways, but tend to go for the little sharpener most of the time.

- Vaughn

Steve Ash
10-06-2005, 3:23 AM
Is a pencil sharpener a ww machine, sure it is!

I can see it now... new pencil sharpener gloats on the forum!:eek:

Tony Falotico
10-06-2005, 6:29 AM
No need for pencil sharpener, always sharp, saves the tool budget. :)

Frank Pellow
10-06-2005, 6:50 AM
Steve, we messed around with the cheap ones for too long. I broke my wife's electric one sharpening dowels... oops. Finally sprung for the real deal Boston. It reminds me of being in first grade every time I use it. Of course it's mounted in the shop. The kids hate having to take off their socks to sharpen their pencils, but those are the breaks!Jason, why are kids going barefoot in your shop? I could understand them having to "put on boots", but "take off socks"?

And, getting back to the topic of this thread, my a pencil sharpener, an old one just like we used to have mounted in all the schoolrooms of my youth, is mounted in the relaxation corner of my shop.

Gail O'Rourke
10-06-2005, 7:23 AM
I had to smile at this post...because I NEVER have a sharp pencil in the shop and I will get all set up to make a mark and ....no lead...put it down, stomp upstairs, I swear I bring down 10 a week and then they disappear.

Larry Browning
10-06-2005, 7:28 AM
I have a really cheap PS (Hey, if we're going to classify it as a ww tool we need to abrieveate it ;) ) and HATE it. LOML won't let me take the good one from the house. It came from the 1st school she taught in and has sentimental value to her. I went to Office Depot to get a good one, and all they had were electric models. They said they would have to special order it! Man, times have changed!!!
I have lots of mechanical pencils, but I still like the good old fashion ones better. I have no reason for this I just like them better.

Larry Browning
10-06-2005, 7:39 AM
Jason, why are kids going barfoot in your shop? I could understand them having to "put on boots", but "take off socks"?

I was wonder the same thing. Jason, WE HAVE TO KNOW!!! why do the kids have take off their socks when entering your shop????? Maybe it's sorta like entering a shrine and you need to show respect by taking off your socks!!!

Guy Germaine
10-06-2005, 7:45 AM
Get the left tilt model. You won't regret it! :rolleyes:

Dale Rodabaugh
10-06-2005, 8:04 AM
After many years with a WalMart special,I finally sprung for the Boston.Sent the El Cheapo to to sharpener heaven,also known as the dump.:rolleyes: :eek: :( :cool:

Michael Gabbay
10-06-2005, 8:31 AM
Yeah Jason my shop rule is shoes on! :D

Ahh the smell and feel of the Boston sharpener shapening a fresh #2. Things were so simple back then.... our parents took care of all the hard stuff.

Dan Racette
10-06-2005, 9:12 AM
What kind of pencils would you sharpen with a $7k sharpener?

Chip Charnley
10-06-2005, 9:12 AM
My pencil sharpener cost me about 25 cents. It's about 1" x 3/4" x 1/2" and rides around in my pants pocket so I am never without it. Often can't find a pencil to actually sharpen with it but that's another story. Why anyone would want anything more than one of those plastic sharpeners, especially one that has to be mounted, is beyond me. :D

Frank Pellow
10-06-2005, 9:33 AM
My pencil sharpener cost me about 25 cents. It's about 1" x 3/4" x 1/2" and rides around in my pants pocket so I am never without it. Often can't find a pencil to actually sharpen with it but that's another story. Why anyone would want anything more than one of those plastic sharpeners, especially one that has to be mounted, is beyond me. :D
If it's mounted, I can find it. :D

john whittaker
10-06-2005, 9:41 AM
Not a neanderthal so I got a Powermatic...errr Point-O-Matic. It's a left tilt, 0.000003 HP with bottom dust collection. Only took me 3 1/2 Hours to set up and worked great right out of the box.

My way of saying HI Steve Ash...Been thinking about you & your wife.

Jim Hager
10-06-2005, 9:43 AM
I have a $25 or so pencil sharpener in my pocket that I carry at all times. The brand is CASE. I do have a Boston pencil sharpener mounted to the wall near my SCMS but I rarely use it because it sharpens the pencils with too much taper and they are much more prone to breaking off the lead. Besides all of that I can use my "pencil sharpener" to peel my apple, chip off dried glue from the top of the glue bottle, use as a scribe on metal, dig out my fingernails or open a bag of screws or maybe even dig out a splinter. It is actually a multi-purpose "pencil sharpener"http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif My pocketknife, gotta have it.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/30/54/52832560-35f2-02000179-.jpg

Scott Coffelt
10-06-2005, 9:56 AM
I had one of those old time (new version, but really cheap) types that you manually had to turn. I tossed it cause I was too lazy to turn the crank and the pencil didn't sharpen itself... too much physical exercise for me.

So I upgraded to an electric, if Dewalt or Festool only made a 18v cordless one... anyways, I now have a nice one int he shop. I am with Gail on this though, I have no idea where they go once I sharpen them. I can't ever find them. I am thinking there is only one cause of this problem.... they get sucked up in the cyclone.

Course the other day that was proved to be a myht, I moved my outfeed table and low and behold there were three pencils down there, so I am now thinking someone is purposely taking them off the workbench and sticking them under there to torment me. How else could they get there. Geez.

Russell Svenningsen
10-06-2005, 10:09 AM
I had to smile at this post...because I NEVER have a sharp pencil in the shop and I will get all set up to make a mark and ....no lead...put it down, stomp upstairs, I swear I bring down 10 a week and then they disappear.

YES! Where do they go?! To me, this is an even bigger mystery than socks dissappearing from the dryer!

My shop is 15 X 25, all machines are on mobile bases..........everything moves.........yet, I will bring in a box of pencils, and one week later not have a SINGLE pencil with which to make a mark! And yet, if I move machines, look under benches..........NOTHING!

My wife thinks I'm nuts. Not to mention "messy". I prefer to think of it as "creative". :D

She may be on to something........ :rolleyes:

Russell Svenningsen
10-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Not a neanderthal so I got a Powermatic...errr Point-O-Matic. It's a left tilt, 0.000003 HP with bottom dust collection. Only took me 3 1/2 Hours to set up and worked great right out of the box.

My way of saying HI Steve Ash...Been thinking about you & your wife.

Do you think Tormek makes a jig to sharpen those knives? :D :D

Jim Becker
10-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I didn't pay $7000 for mine...the shop actually came with a "modern" hand-crank school room sharpener. (The prevous owners really were school teachers...) And while it IS mounted in one place, I like that 'cause I always can find it... ;)

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 11:38 AM
I think Dev has a 265 lb cast iron one made before 1932 (the year the last good ones were made). It is hand cranked, but has a huge balanced flywheel and machined keyed guideways for precise alignment.

My crappy pencil sharpener is so awful that I have to turn the pencil instead of a crank! :eek:

One the other hand, I do have a Lee Valley Carpenter's Pencil Sharpener so I don't maim myself sharpening big fat carpenter's pencils. :cool:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46686&cat=1,42936

Dale Rodabaugh
10-06-2005, 1:05 PM
I was mistaken on my last reply.My new pencil sharpener is an EXactA,not a Boston.:confused: :rolleyes: :eek: Oh well it works great.:cool:

Vaughn McMillan
10-06-2005, 1:40 PM
I think Dev has a 265 lb cast iron one made before 1932 (the year the last good ones were made). It is hand cranked, but has a huge balanced flywheel and machined keyed guideways for precise alignment.

Rumor has it that Lou Sansone's got the electric version of that one. It's got a three phase (of course) 15 HP motor, and you have to stand on a platform just to reach the hole where the pencil goes. :p

- Vaughn

Ian Barley
10-06-2005, 2:17 PM
I have the euro sliding version which enables the sharpening operation to be completed with the operator at a safe distance from the cutting point. It has a presharpening scribing blade as well but I tend not to use it. I believe that Paul Cresti is planning to post a tutorial on its use soon :D

(Actually I usually sharpen my pencils by rubbing them on the most convenient piece of sandpaper or with a stanley knife. I have been known to use the edge sander as well - does that count as mounted?)

Don Baer
10-06-2005, 2:33 PM
I have the EZ version where I move the sharpener and keep the pencil still.

:D

Bob Nieman
10-06-2005, 2:47 PM
I bought mine from that unnamed auction web site for a good bit less than 7K. I wanted one like I had in elementary school, not the plastic kind (or electric) that they sell today. I bid on a few before I won, not wanting to spend too much. I quickly discovered that, like everything else, there are people who collect them. I found a very uninspiring one that was obviously something like the 7K model. Two people had it bid up to 2K and change. The seller didn't appear to know what he had. I'm sure he was surprised (and very happy)

As for mine, I think I need to sharpen it, but I haven't figured out how to get it in my Mk IV. It looks good anyway. I think the latest Wood Magazine has a project for a PS jig that I thought I would build.

Dale Rodabaugh
10-06-2005, 3:14 PM
Hey Scott,latest studies show that physical exercise is good for you.:D :p :rolleyes:

Joe Unni
10-06-2005, 4:03 PM

http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Way funny!!!!

Ian Barley
10-06-2005, 4:56 PM

Ah - the dead lead concept.

Don Baer
10-06-2005, 5:05 PM

some say that it's much safer...:p

Per Swenson
10-06-2005, 5:14 PM
Hello All,

For seven thousand shamolians, I think I can make this work.

<!--StartFragment -->

Rube Goldberg gets his think-tank working and evolves the simplified pencil-sharpener.

<SMALL> Open window (A) and fly kite (B). String (C) lifts small door (D) allowing moths (E) to escape and eat red flannel shirt (F). As weight of shirt becomes less, shoe (G) steps on switch (H) which heats electric iron (I) and burns hole in pants (J). Smoke (K) enters hole in tree (L), smoking out opossum (M) which jumps into basket (N), pulling rope (O) and lifting cage (P), allowing woodpecker (Q) to chew wood from pencil (R), exposing lead. Emergency knife (S) is always handy in case opossum or the woodpecker gets sick and can't work.</SMALL>

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 5:47 PM
Shop-made Pencil Sharpening Router Jig

I have thought about how inadequate my manual sharpener is after reading these posts and have designed my new pencil sharpener.

I have not added the dust collection apparatus yet...

Don Baer
10-06-2005, 5:51 PM
Shop-made Pencil Sharpening Router Jig

I have thought about how inadequate my manual sharpener is after reading these posts and have designed my new pencil sharpener.

I have not added the dust collection apparatus yet...

But Andrew,
That violates the "Dead Lead" design. You need to put the router on a circular guide and move it in a circle and hold the pencil still...:D

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 5:53 PM
But what about repeatability?

Don Baer
10-06-2005, 6:02 PM
But what about repeatability?

You'll just have to design another jig, you can call it the Repeaterator or something like that.

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 6:16 PM
That violates the "Dead Lead" design. You need to put the router on a circular guide and move it in a circle and hold the pencil still...

Mea culpa! The Dead Lead Jig:

Vaughn McMillan
10-06-2005, 6:16 PM
There are people in offices down the hall from mine wondering what the heck I'm laughing so loudly about. This has devolved into one of the funniest threads I've seen anywhere in a long time. :D Dead lead indeed.

- Vaughn

Don Baer
10-06-2005, 6:19 PM
Mea culpa! The Dead Lead Jig:

Now you've got it. Now you cansell it on *-bay

You can even start up your own company. Call it something like "I found it place"

Per Swenson
10-06-2005, 6:27 PM
Andrew,

A suggestion,

Chuck the pencil in the router, use the same jig,

replace the clamp section with a approriate abrasive,

and voila.....Leaderator

P.

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 6:29 PM
Mmmm. 30,000 RPM pencil...yes, I like it.

In the router table. Remember to wear safety glasses.

Doug Shepard
10-06-2005, 8:29 PM
I have no idea what brand I've got, but couldn't be without the pencil sharpener (manual not electric). I also use 0.5mm lead mechanical pencils along with Incra rules, but good old #2's for everything else. I don't know why I have such a hard time keeping track of them though. The darn things are like putting socks in the dryer. You never get back the same amount you put in. I can buy a 12-pack, sharpen them all, and within a couple of weeks it seems like half of them are MIA. Maybe there's a pencil fairy in my shop and I'll eventually find quarters that have been left in exchange.

Frank Pellow
10-06-2005, 9:23 PM
Ian, this is the funniest thing that I have read on Saw Mill Creek this year. :D Well done!

Dale Thompson
10-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Steve,
I've only got about $3500 invested in my pencil sharpener! :D You sure got roped into something that is VERY expensive for a relatively inexpensive WW operation. :(

I just chuck up the pencil in the accessory jaws of my PM35, depress the headstock lock with some duct tape, pick up the lathe and spin it about ten times. You MUST keep the lathe LEVEL when manually turning it. I always have a bikini-clad lady watching so that my washboard-like abs don't relax. If that happens and I get out of level, I have to start all over again. ;)
That is a real bummer by the time I get to pencil number 30 or 40. :( Of course, even for a FAT guy, I don't sweat THAT much!! :)

Dale T.

Steve Stube
10-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Dale, you back from a vacation?

Dino Makropoulos
10-07-2005, 12:26 AM
some say that it's much safer...:p

And not only.
We don't see a machinist holding the work piece to feed the machine. :confused:
And we don't see 50.000 machinist's go to the emergency room every year. :eek:
But what we see, is schools closing the woodworking shops and if we don't invent and offer a better-safer and smarter way to cut and rout wood...
woodworking is Dead. :mad:
The Dead Wood Concept kept open many schools already and enables many people to get into woodworking. ;)

About the EZ sharpener. :D :rolleyes:
http://eurekazone.com/gallery/the-ez-smart-sharpener
Expensive as a pencil sharpener but I'm sure
we can find 1000 other uses for it. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the idea. :D
YCF Dino

Lee DeRaud
10-07-2005, 1:09 AM
He's baaaaaack....

Walt Pater
10-07-2005, 6:01 AM
I guess that I should hijack the thread to say that I VASTLY prefer the Dixon Ticonderoga, and that anyone who uses a Mongol is a shoemaker and a hack and a loser and a butcher.

Jack Hogoboom
10-07-2005, 9:13 AM
I can't compete with this level of humor, but I do have a solution for missing shop pencils. When I built my first bench, I realized I was going to have a problem with lost pencils. What I do is tie pencils on a long string, tie the other end to a convenient spot, and let the pencil dangle. Took a few tries to find the right length to the string. Broke a few points testing.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the riotous thread.

Jack

Bill Lewis
10-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Well I didn't want to show this, but you guys forced my hand.

It's a Boston 2000 PS, with custom mobil base and dust collection. It's currently wired for 120V, but I was thinking about upgrading it to run off of 240V so it doesn't dim the lights when I fire this baby up.

Oh, and all you guys with those hand crank models need to take that discussion over to the Neaderthal forum.

Andrew Ault
10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Dino,

I give to you all rights to my design.

Dead lead will revolutionize the pencil sharpening industry!

:)

- Andy

Jim Becker
10-07-2005, 11:39 AM
My alternative pencil sharpener is similar to Dale T's...'except it's a Stubby 750 with spiggot jaws in the OneWay chuck...the Ellsworth side-grind gouge really gets a nice finish on the bevel.

(Actually these are knitting needles that needed to become double ended for Dr. SWMBO's current hat project for the girls, but you get the idea... ;) )

Rob Littleton
10-07-2005, 11:58 AM
You guys are BAD!!!!!!!!

This is hilarious thread. I was reading it to see how I can turn it political but alas.........

I was wondering if Terry Hatfield built a new shed for his sharpener? and if Mark Singer has a sharpener delivered under the cover of night. Jim Becker got an IP sharpener and Aaron just has an ERASER......(might have to think about that one:-). The list could go on I guess :-)

Man, I am late for work but cant leave til finish reading the creek.

Please accept my humor gentlemen. Not out to offend :-)

Lee DeRaud
10-07-2005, 11:59 AM
My alternative pencil sharpener is similar to Dale T's...'except it's a Stubby 750 with spiggot jaws in the OneWay chuck...My knuckles hurt just looking at that picture.:eek:

Lee DeRaud
10-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Jim Becker got an IP sharpener...Dunno about that, but I'd guess he's far from being the only one here who has to keep track of which meaning of "router" to use depending on who he's talking to.:eek:

Aaron Koehl
10-07-2005, 12:13 PM
and Aaron just has an ERASER......(might have to think about that one:-).

Yeah, and? :D

Tony Falotico
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
What I do is tie pencils on a long string, tie the other end to a convenient spot, and let the pencil dangle. Took a few tries to find the right length to the string. Broke a few points testing.... :rolleyes:

Jack

Hey Jack, I think you may be on to something here. Can we get the string into a retractable reel ?? they can be mounted on the bench, walls, ceiling......... :) :) :)

Jim Becker
10-07-2005, 1:49 PM
My knuckles hurt just looking at that picture.

It looks like I'm holding the tool "like my life depends upon it" in that picture, but in actually, my fingers are relaxed. The left hand only puts downward pressure on the rest with a little assistance in lateral movement. Also, the tool rest is a little blurred and not as obvious...it almost looks like the tool is unsupported I can now see. I guess my "aim" for focus was just a hair off...which can sometimes happen when using the timer in a dynamic situation.

But heck...you can sharpen a lot of pencils with little effort this way. The only downside is the time to mount them in the chuck and their propensity to not be absolutely straight... :D

Steve Stube
10-07-2005, 2:03 PM
Measure the distance between the floor and the point at which you tie the pencil, subtract the length of the pencil from this number and the string should be shorter than the result.

Jim Becker, my old wood shop teacher would have you set in the corner for at least one shop period for wearing a ring and watch while operating the spinning thing. Similar to loose clothing these items can get snaged and pull you in. He seemed to let it pass on the pencil sharpener.

Jim Becker
10-07-2005, 2:06 PM
You're correct, Steve. My bad. The watch I'm not so concerned about--I don't often have it on during "shop days", but the ring really should be off for this activity.

Ian Barley
10-07-2005, 2:07 PM
I can't compete with this level of humor, but I do have a solution for missing shop pencils. When I built my first bench, I realized I was going to have a problem with lost pencils. What I do is tie pencils on a long string, tie the other end to a convenient spot, and let the pencil dangle. Took a few tries to find the right length to the string. Broke a few points testing.... :rolleyes:

Jack
Even better Jack - why not tie a pencil to either end of a piece of string and then thread it up one sleeve, across your shoulders, and down the other sleeve. Not only unlosable but ambidextrous! (or does that only work for mittens?)

Lee DeRaud
10-07-2005, 3:41 PM
It looks like I'm holding the tool "like my life depends upon it" in that picture, but in actually, my fingers are relaxed.The angle makes it look like the knuckles on the pinky and ring fingers are maybe 1/2" from that spinning chuck.:eek:

Jim Becker
10-07-2005, 3:46 PM
The angle makes it look like the knuckles on the pinky and ring fingers are maybe 1/2" from that spinning chuck.

They are not!

Dino Makropoulos
10-07-2005, 7:38 PM
Dino,

I give to you all rights to my design.

Dead lead will revolutionize the pencil sharpening industry!

:)

- Andy
Thanks Andrew.
I'm sure it will. :rolleyes:
But we have a conflict with our line of thoughts.. ;)
I would take you up in your generous offer, if we have a need for sharp pencils. :confused: You see... in the Dead Wood Concept, there is no need for pencil marks. And no rulers either. ;) :cool:
Thanks for your offer.
YCF Dino

Keith Foster
10-07-2005, 7:42 PM
You guys are all rank amatures. I chuck my pencils in the DeWalt Hammer Drill, then slap on a plastic sharpener and spool those babies up. You'd be surprised how fast you can go from a full size pencil to a nub with an eraser. :eek:

Andrew Ault
10-07-2005, 7:45 PM
Any time, Dino. :)

Perhaps someday I'll evolve and get my wood to sit still. ;)

- Andy

Steve Clardy
10-07-2005, 8:29 PM
Oh you all are all wet:eek: and a little nuts I think:eek:

AFTER I find a pencil, and manage to get it sharpened, I tie it to my fishing pole.

After pulling out about a 100 foot of line after a days use, and having it wound up on everything, including my long skinny legs:eek: I haft to stop and wind it in.

And if I do loose it, just find :confused: :( :confused: :mad: the fishing pole and wind away.:rolleyes: ;)

Steve:D

Steve Stube
10-10-2005, 2:37 AM
Well the final bid was a little shy of $14,000.00